Re: Long trip in Beetle

> kinda of basic tools, cables and fluids.. but if any one else can supply > some constructive advise that would be appreciated.

If you're not a mechanic, probably the handiest thing you can pick up is the idiot book, just enter "How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive" into any book site and you will find it.

Muir isn't the be-all-end-all of vw maintenence but the proceedures and symptom-identifying features of the book are without equal. He tends to err on the side of caution but it will keep your car running.

If the rest of the vehicle is in as good condition as those pictures claim, you probably won't need much. Little more than a couple extra quarts of oil and an extra fan belt.

If you do get the Muir book I mentioned above, he has a section devoted to tools you should have on hand for various uses of your bug. He suggests (I have all this stuff on hand because my car isn't in nearly as pristine a shape as yours ;) stuff like spark plugs, full rebuild kit for the distributor, bulbs, fuses, and an array of gaskets.

Reply to
Seth Graham

is it an original BC Bug?

Reply to
BugBum

Yes it is a orginal BC bug

Kirk

Reply to
Cpt

Would it pay for me to bring a couple Bugs to Canada to sell? Serious question. I have a pristine '72 I would like to sell. I mean the paint _underneath_ is still shiny.

Reply to
J Stafford

Mycoran1

Cool bug! Funny, looks exactly like what I was planning to do with my old rusty green bug (if I had the money/time), at least outside. Please tell us about your trip when you are back, since some of us (at least me) are also playing with the idea of a long trip in bug.

Ant

Cpt wrote:

Reply to
Ant

John....

Yes it would pay to bring them up there....

I'm a Cannuk....

They're commonly paying $4500+ for any type of bug.

Am going to the Winnipeg area next week... will get some pricing...

The challenge up there compared to Winnona is that they have a safety inspeciton. It's more in depth than the states.

T./

Reply to
MN AirHead

Very good! My mother's side of the family is all from Quebec.

Drive my Bug!

Can the buyer accept that requirement, or does the seller have to pass the test?

Reply to
J Stafford

Honestly I don't know it would end up being that great a deal for him. I mean he brings a car up here sells it for 6 grand Canadian that's only

4000-4500 US. I'm sure if the bug is that pristine he could sell it to someone in Michigan or PA for a similar price and then the person wouldn't have to deal with the safety inspection etc. I guess it depends on how a 72 bug is worth to a Canadian.

Reply to
BugBum

I see you're coming up to Winnipeg next week. Well, if you'll be in town for sunday, there's a bug run scheduled to Grand Beach. For details, check out

MK

Let's not dis a guy because he happened to have the money to buy the Bug. Maybe one of us will be so lucky one day to spend like that. In the meantime, at least we know it's probably a good machine and let us hope the man appreciates what he has. It's all the better for all of us.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:59:08 GMT, "Cpt" scribbled this interesting note:

Small parts that could fail. A distributor you know works. A spare fuel pump. Belts, cables, and fluids. Make for damn sure your spare tire is in good shape. Don't forget a few spare light bulbs. Hell, I might even include a spare generator (or alternator, if that is how it is set up.) Spark plugs and cables. Filters, if you use them. A few feet of fuel and vacuum line. Valve cover gaskets. Some Permatex and some epoxy (you never know when you might need some!:~) Rope. Spare gas can with gas in it. All the tools necessary to repair or change out any spare part you have brought, and then some!:~)

Don't forget to take plenty of fuel for yourself as well. Spare water and some snacks. If you should get stranded these supplies will keep you comfortable.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

And where's the reefer? The tunes? Ya big redneck! But I pretty much approve of the firearm selection.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:38:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) scribbled this interesting note:

On more than one occasion I've had need of some of these items while traveling. Never been on a long trip in a Beetle, but while on any long trip in any car I always take a tool kit and some basic supplies. The most important tool you can carry is your imagination. Use it carefully and you'll obviate any problems before they happen!:~)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Now your cookin'.

Personally, I make sure everything is in great shape before I hit the road. Fresh fluids (motor & tranny oil), belt, fuel lines, no weird electrical "issues". Check the brake system, wheel bearings. Make sure nothing is loose underneath.

I also already spend a lot of time driving my car. So I have the confidence that comes with road miles and a pretty good idea of what the next issue will be. I don't get surprised very often.

And if your imagination (see John's comment) is up to par, you really don't have to carry that much. Mostly you can make do with whatever material is at hand.

Max

Reply to
Max

Yep, and that's why I mentioned reefer - for those who need a little help. From their friends. "Lezzie... my engine smoked, caught fire and died. Lemmie get up that ole imagination..."

Reply to
J Stafford

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:09:15 -0500, John Willis , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

LCB with rebar roof rack. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

John I was talking about you selling a bug up here....

Reply to
BugBum