Re: OT Isabel

Yes, that too, but I have also noticed some also with the hot spicy stuff. ;)

Reply to
Olli Lammi

...tell the bums to get off their collective asses and try doing honest work for a living till the cushy geek jobs come back....plenty of jobs in this area if you aren't real damn picky =-))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

...my record is 6 =-) But that was when I worked for the lumber yard...much more physical job...don't think I could get past 5 now.

...gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

..i understammd un-employment...not something I personally try to use...but I understand it. However, you mentioned 2 years....can you really milk the system that long??? I really didn't know you could be a professional bum that long =-))) BTW...if you *do* have to sell off a few things because you no longer make $100k a year....so be that too....hey you can buy them back when you get your cushy job back again. I see a lot of healthy and happy families surviving on wages earned in working class jobs....if a person is emotionaly unsuited to giving up the Lexus and picking up a more modest vehicle, or selling off the 350k house in the posh subdivision, and moving into an $80k house in the country....well, maybe their reality check was past due anyways.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:12:00 -0400, Gary Tateosian began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

Well I don't, fully. I've never collected unemployment. I've been working in one form or another since I was about 14 and have supported myself 100% since I was about 19. I went to college right after high school and worked the whole time I was in college.

I've never *EVER* used it.

I don't know if you can actually get some money back from the system that you've been putting your money into for a long time for anywhere near as long as you've been putting your money in. I really don't.

If you have a family that depends on you for their shelter and food and you make the choice to take unemployment over flipping burgers while you actively look for a job to regain the same kind of employment you had before the layoff then I think you're setting a good example for your kids. Sometimes it's not just "about you." If doing the best for your family is looking for a good job and collecting unemployment while you do it is better for your family than flipping burgers then you're a damn idiot for flipping burgers (in my opinion). It's like saying you should pay car insurance for years and then when you get in a wreck tough crap, pay for your own wreck. No, dude. That's not the way it works. You work and contribute to the unemployment thing and then if you fall on hard times you get a little back. I don't know how long you could depend on those benefits because *again* I haven't had to yet. I may have to starting next week, but in the meantime I will continue to do the best for my family. If the best I can do for my family is to accept unemployment while looking for a good job then that is what I will do.l I won't start cleaning out horse stalls if I get laid off (at least not right away) and try to explain to my family the "logic" behind that because there is no logic behind that.

Who said I was underpaid? :-O

Who said it was "cushy?" My chair I sit in is "cushy" and I get free coffee. Beyond that I'd be willing to bet I go through more stress on avarage than you have to deal with. I mean *STRESS*. Like "People are dying over here *Literally* while the hospital network is down" kinda thing.

OK, now someone is gonna get pissed off at me for this but I'm gonna say it anyway because i have this kind of a lack of class... Gary, you get back to me after you grow up poor, bust your ass in school, take out massive school loans to get a degree (You consider yourself fo be a smart guy, right? You had the same chances as I did as far as I know)...My parents helped me get into college (meaning they said GO TO COLLEGE) and then told me I was on my own. That resulted in the personality you're reading about now. I BUSTED MY ASS AND ATE MORE BEANS THAN ANYONE SHOULD EVER HAVE TO. I eventually worked my way into the postiion I'm into now and I'm very proud of what I've accomplished. I don't want to sell anything I have if I get laid off and until you've "been there" you just don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. I was happy and healthy with a lower paying job, too. I'm not willing to give it all up for pride (taking a job at burger king again to show I'm not "above" that). If you wanna be proud and preach to people who have worked hard for what they've got and tell them they should work at burger king (I've already worked there...i think i already ranted that) or sam's wholesale (oh yea, already worked there too) or building cabinets (been there...) or cleaning carpets (been there) then go for it. I'm not listening. This is all coming off disjointed now. My point is, GODDAMNIT...I worked and sacrificed a LOT to be where I am now. Nobody jammed a silver spoon in my mouth, but now I've got shit that I never thought I'd wind up with. The reason for that is a lot of luck and even more of an attitude that says "Hey, I can do that with some hard work and serious concentraion." And I did. I'm not ashamed of it. I'm PROUD of it. I am not saying I'm perfect or that I didn't make mistakes. I've done things I'd be ashamed to tell my mother about, and I've learned lessons in ways that I'd prefer for my own kids to not have to learn about in the same way. I'm not a classy guy. You know that, Gary. You've met me. Just don't pass judgement on my friends that you've never met until you've walked in their shoes. They are my FRIENDS and I'd run off at the mouth just as much to defend you as I am doing now to defend them. They are talented and fun people and just happened to be in the wrong group at the wrong time. They are trying to do the best they can for themselves and their families. Maybe the reason this post has gotten so long is that the reality is that people just like me have a very big chance of not having a job in the near future so it makes us nervous and ramble. Or, maybe it's just because we are bored and have nothing else to do but type. Ah, it's probably a combination of all of those things. Take my "rant" for what it's worth (not much) if you've read it this far. I don't want y'all think I'm someone who got the stuff I have handed to me. I was lucky to inherit a brain that will last me roughly 4-7 more years (following the family trend) before dementia sets in and I become a vegetable so I'm just trying to cash in on that for now. The "stuff" I have is enough to make my family comfortable and I have a big insurance policy for the day I finally try a big ol' bite of that dirt sandwich. To quote Captain Kirk who quoted Spock... "I'd like to think that there are always... possibilities."

This is enough of a novel already. Clicking "send" now and dealing with the responses later.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:14:44 -0400, travis scribbled this interesting note:

Down Boy!

(BTW, you ain't the only one 'round these here parts who's worked hard for what he has...and who also has a clue as to the value of a dollar. Remember, it ain't about how much you make, its about what you do with it!:~)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:59:33 GMT, "KWW" scribbled this interesting note:

Remember, I said semi-retired. That implies some amount of work!:~)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:51:28 -0400, travis scribbled this interesting note:

I use cast iron pots and pans much of the time. It is wonderful once it is properly seasoned and cared for. Never have any problems with scrambled eggs in my cast iron skillet. In fact I have one that is only used for eggs!

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

....................I never came close to being what you'd call 'responsible' until I had a wife and kids to worry about. It really does change you for the better (are we gonna have one of those group hugs that Jan is so fond of when this thread runs out of gas?).

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:15:43 GMT, "Tim Rogers" began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

I hope not cuz last time he grabbed me on the ass. :-)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

...and here is where your premise gets slightly skewed. I never said anything about flipping burgers. Where we live its easy to walk into a $9-10 an hour job (note if you can get that flippin burgers IO may take a side job) Ok, lets assume you *DO* have the wife and 2.5 kids... So lets see....that means the wife can and should work too.....so thats $18-20 an hour combined income....after all times are tough sacrifices have to be made. Out goes the cable ....so the wife would get bored at home anyways ;-P Anywho, Thats $5700-6400 (aprox) a month. Now I know taxes will kick yer ass...but still...copme on try...just try and budget and things will work out. BTW this all comes back to me being surprised that un-enjoyment lasts two years...if it does....great....takes yer money and fish....thats whatmakes America great....BUT if they are dfoing like a lot of the local populace....I can think of one neighbor in particular when I moved down here...and spending their wifes paycheck well statiing ythat they haven'ttr found anythiong in their field....hey wake the f87k up.....change fields....and even if you ARE collecting unenjoyment...hell you prolly qualify foir some educational grants as well...after 2 damn years if you want to stay white collar go back to school... (pains ya just considering ity eh???) Go back...transfer what credits you can and switch careers...if there is no work in the field you work in...well you can beat a dead horse and cry the rest of your damn life (like a little girl???) OR you can suck in the ol beer gut...face facts...and make a career change for trhe betterment of yourself AND your wife and

2.5 kids...

And no....I HAVEN'T burdenend myself with the fiscal and emotional resposibilities of qa family yet.....and YES I am opinionated...so sue me =-))))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:00:02 -0400, Gary Tateosian began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

Sorry, but no my premise does not fall apart there. That kind of money will *not* be enough. That kind of money means "Sell the house and move." Sure, that's an option, but not a good one when you can collect the unemployment and not sell the house.

For the last time, I don't know how long it lasts. I haven't used it before and don't want to discuss it with my friends who are having to. I'm sure it isn't their favorite topic.

No, not really. One of my 2 friends that was laid off is already back in school now. I guess you assumed they were sitting on their ass not wanting to take a job that was beneath them. The other guy got another job working for a company that actually paid him *more* than he was making when he worked for me, but was laid off about a year later when that company starting having trouble. Sorry to crush you imagination of them sitting on their asses.

And that's why my discussion of this topic with you ends here. There's no point in trying to explain this to you since you just haven't "been there." THE END :-)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:00:02 -0400, Gary Tateosian ran around screaming and yelling:

yer math is a bit skewed there fella.. J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

..umm...yup...yer right way skeweed...damn early mornign posts...I doubled twice...I knew that looked high.....make that 28-3200 ...hehe hmnmm....still looks toi me like ya could afford a pretty nice damn pad .

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Thanks! This is now saved... The ones I made where slightly overboard, that Mega Death sauce is hard to quantify correctly...

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Life is a bitch, and then we all die!

J.

Reply to
BergRace

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:21:02 +0200, "BergRace" ran around screaming and yelling:

and somewhere along the line you get talked into marrying one...hehe J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:33:15 -0400, Gary Tateosian ran around screaming and yelling:

well i just started realizing i was getting screwed somewhere if your math was correct...LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I love to cook eggs in the skillet, just make sure the skillet is good and hot before you drop the eggs in or they will stick. Don't forget the pat of butter before the egg goes in. This is so you can tell when the skillet is hot and don't worry about the blood clotting agents in the butter either!!!

Reply to
TerryB