Re: OT Spyware

welcome to the new anti Microsoft internet world. more and more hackers are attacking Microsoft users. I am now running Mozilla for my internet explorer, and have not had the issues with any of the virus/spyware/hijackers.

t_puls wrote: > > >Start your computer up in SAFE MODE and then run AD Aware. This was how I > >finally got that junk off my system. When you start in SAFE MODE only the > >essential windows components are loaded. All of your drivers and stuff are > >not loaded and this generally can keep most of the spyware from loading. > >Many times AD aware (and others) cannot completely remove the offending code > >if it is running. SAFE MODE gives you a better chance for success when there > >is a recurring problem like you appear to have. Good luck. > > > >If you have ever run the MSCONFIG utility and understand it, you might find > >all kinds of stuff gets loaded when your computer starts up. Most of it is > >not necessary and really slows your system down. If you do not understand > >computers very well then you are better off not messing with the MSCONFIG > >utility. > > I tried downloaded and ran adware, but it did not get rid of the offending > files. I then downloaded AOL's Macafee Virus Scan, and that seems to (at least > for now) have done the trick. > It came up with several infected files that are as follows: > > tdolse.exe > pup.exe > over.exe > > What a pain in the neck. > > > > > > Bill Berckman > 67 Beetle > >
Reply to
Jody

i agree, spybot search and destroy saved my ass for years, and there is a setting in the program that makes ur host file READ ONLY, make sure u set it....

it actually helped me remove a virus this week, Trojan.Noupdate.B that My norten said was gone (deleted), but it wasn't... after hours of trying the manual removal process with no luck, (thats how I found the host file setting in spybot) i decided to run SBSD before I reformated, and it found something it had to remove on startup, once it did it's thing, my PC was no longer sending mass spam to who knows who, when I wasn't even logged in to my SBC global account.....

make sure u check the host file "read only" trojan hijacked mine and overwrote it, thats how my problem began.....

tucows.com is a wonderful place isn't it.... i also run the 12ghost popup killer which helps with my resources since I'm still running win98se, and it's got a great cache and cookie cleaner, much better than my norten

Reply to
Skipnkuf

Did not get the varmit fixed with Mcafee. I ran it and deleted the virus files, but was still getting my homepage settings hijacked at startup. I deleted a file called mshp.dll, and I think that took care of it. Hopefully it did. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Bill there is a virus that changes the start page. It's not much of a virus but can't remember the name of it right now. I kept getting it and getting it. It was coming in attached to email. It would be in the zipped files and jpgs, etc..

Shit, give me a bit and I will remember the name of it. I use AVG anti virus and it had no problem getting rid of it.

Randy

RSMEINER

Name of the virus was StartPage. Good name for it.

Randy

RSMEINER