Re: Please help>>window winder questions....

I took the windows out of my '72 Super and wiped them down with

>acetone, F409, and Windex. They were very difficult to wind up, so I >shot lubricant on the entire assembly. Now they still won't wind up >unless I grab the window inside the door and push up firmly. I TRIED >adjusting the whole thing, in/out, back/forth, up/down for 2 hours. >Could the winding assemblies the handles screw into be defective? >These doors never had the inner springs that go under the handles. >Should '72 Supers have these? I'm really frustrated, as I want to put >the plasic sheeting on, and then the door panels. I can't rip the >upholstery off just to wind windows, and driving with no upholstery on >the doors is unacceptable...THANKS!!! paul > snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Grease and clearn the mechanisms,,that's the problem, not the window!

30-ish years of dust gets everywhere!

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

"pmbedard" wrote

I can't help with the window problem as I've never had mine out or done any adjusting to them .... but my '72 has the springs that go under the handles ... I would doubt that the lack of springs is causing your problem ... like Howard said, it's most likely in the mechanism.

Reply to
Scott H.

About once every 20 years you need to remove the glass and take out the window regulator. After cleaning, hit the turning mechanism with it a good spray of something like WD. Hang it up and let it dry. Then grease it up good with your favorite heavy grease; my preference is for the moly- based stuff.

Put it all back together and check the window. Which should be good now for about another 20 years.

Reply to
Luft Gekühlt