Re: Safe solvent to remove adhesives inside of car.

3M has an excellent cleaner for that kind of stuff. Here's a link - don't know about this particular distributor but it's a good description of the product. I buy it at the friendly local lumber yard. If that doesn't work, you might try mineral spirits (paint thinner) to see if it dissolves the contact cement residue. Either way you'll probably want to use something like Windex to remove the residue of what you use to clean it and to get rid of that concentrated scent / odor. A note about original VW paint - If it's in good shape, it's almost impossible to damage. I removed custom striping off my '79 bus many years ago. Nothing seemed to touch it, so I ended up using MEK and a Scotchpad! Once I had the stripes off, the area under them was not damaged, in fact, because it had beed protected since the bus was new, by the stripes, it was the shiniest part! A note about MEK and Acetone and Lacquer thinner and stuff.... Uh..... I forget - What was I saying?

-- Dave "Busahaulic" Pearson Fall City, Washington Remove obvious from addy to e-mail

>From: "Dan Smith" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com > >Date: 7/12/03 7:57 PM Central Daylight Time > >Message-id: > > > >Subject is a '73 SB. > > > >I removed damaged carpeting today. I also removed some

of the insulation

>glued/stuck to the floors. Looks like some type of tar

for the insulation

>and rubber cement for the carpet. > > > >What can I use to remove this stuff without causing the

car to explode the

>next time I start it? (It's my daily driver.) > > > >Thanks, > >Dan > > you might try Orange Brite. I have used it on the

adhesive for commercial

vinyl tile. It might take longer but it leaves that

orange scent. lol

I get it at my flea market but it can be found elsewhere

like

their shoes. That way,

when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them,

and you have their

shoes. Frieda Norris >
Reply to
Busahaulic

You've been sniffing that stuff for too long. Yuo forgot the link.... What cleaner???

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
thinner) to see if it dissolves the contact cement residue.> Either way you'll probably want to use something like Windex> to remove the residue of what you use to clean it and to get> rid of that concentrated scent / odor.> A note about original VW paint - If it's in good shape, it's> almost impossible to damage. I removed custom striping off> my '79 bus many years ago. Nothing seemed to touch it, so I> ended up using MEK and a Scotchpad! Once I had the stripes> off, the area under them was not damaged, in fact, because> it had beed protected since the bus was new, by the stripes,> it was the shiniest part!> A note about MEK and Acetone and Lacquer thinner and> stuff.... Uh..... I forget - What was I saying?>
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

I found a quart can of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, part no.

051135-08984. It's in a red and white can. Is this what you're referring to?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Smith

I tried the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Mixed results. Takes off the rubber cement and the tar.

Doesn't budge the beige colored harder stuff that holds the carpeting under the back window down to just above the battery compartment.

Anything that will remove this stuff and not the paint?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Smith

Now THAT'S FUNNY!!! Here's the link:

I have a sign posted above my desk at work: NOTICE Government reports have linked prolonged and repeated overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nerve damage. When conversing with Dave, please speak slowly and concisely, making eye contact...

Some people see the joke. Others take it seriously. Then I wonder at the joke myself. This, however, is CLASSIC! The guys at work are gonna love it! I screenprint for a living and breathe that stuff constantly as well as having it all over my hands... Ever spill solvent in a sensitive area? Whew! An entire gallon down the front of my pants! Oh, am I drifting off topic again? BTW - that citrus stuff is B-A-A-D also. Be sure to have plenty of ventilation as in lotsa fresh airflow to yer breathing aparatus. Our washout room used to be really tight. A salesman dropped off 5 gallons of delimonene (sp?) based (citrus) cleaner for me to try on the screens. 1st try, cleaned the screens really well, but I got a respiratory infection almost instantly! A couple weeks later, when all healed up, I figured I'd see if it was a coincidence. It wasn't. They picked up the remaining 4 gallons and 3 quarts!

the link.... What

it's

friendly

nt

residue.

Windex

get

it's

off

so I

stripes

because

stripes,

some

tar

the

elsewhere

in

them,

Reply to
Busahaulic

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:57:26 GMT, "Busahaulic" ran around screaming and yelling:

maybe that is what is wrong with me? i used to do the same thing...i was incharge of building the screens, coating them with the photosensitive emulsion, burning the images, and the "re-claiming"....someof the shit we used was some serious shit....especially in the re-claiming...and printing sucks...did that when i had time...i was also the general "handyman" for the building...oh the good ole days... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani