Re: Shock question

I've never heard of an IRS swingaxle.

Then you didn't listen......................... All VW's are IRS,................Some are called swing axle, some are double jointed axle..............................

They are all IRS

IRS = *I*ndependent *R*ear *S*uspension.

But it is definitely a misunderstood by many.

generally when I read something like that, I just wonder which it is...................until someone else asks.................Could actually be either one, as the world speaks.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Sorry for the confusion I have a IRS type transaxle that is double jointed.

Reply to
Don Hamilton

Don, I have seen airshocks a bunch on buggies and I have seen Coil overs on higher priced buggies. I'd bet the Air version is the budget way to go .

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

If your just tlaking the bolt-on sets of coil- overs offered everywhere then both setups you mention will give a crappy ride. Also the coil-over ones tend to blow out fairly easy. My guess is that the air shocks would not be much better, in fact worse for ride if your gonna "jack them up".

Re-index the plates, hell if your gonna take the shock off, your 1/4 the way there already! :) Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

On 31 Jul 2003 10:05:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comma (Mark Detro), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

I reindexed my spring plates and also run air shocks in the rear. If I keep the air shocks pumped up but not REALLY pumped up then I get a pretty decent ride. On the road. If I take it offroad then I either have to let a lot of air out of the air shocks and that leaves me with a really bouncy ride and not as much ground clearance, or I can pump the shocks up some for more ground clearance with a rougher ride, but then I tend to rupture my axle boots when the air shocks are fully pumped up and I'm on a rough trail. I have the swing-axle setup but even with the "IRS" setup I'd guess that you will rupture some axle boots if you extend the wheels/axles downward too much. They'll contact the framehorns and pinch a hole in the boot. At least that's what happens on mine and what I'd guess would happen on yours. Good luck.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Travis, Have you tried limiting the downward travel of the swingarm?

Old Alfa Romeo had a cool way of doing this for a performance car,....................They used something that looked like a piece of reinforced tire rubber or something like it, and tied a loop around the rear axel, with some slack,.................that way when the axel reached what they considered its lower limit it would stop travel...............nothing wrong with giving it a try anyway.

It could make your vehicle a bit funky on trails, but I have no idea how it would act actually....................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

They make these things called, limiting straps, I believe. Most places that have quality racing harnesses(Simpson, Deist, Crow, etc) should have these, too. You can look at some 4x4 shops but I know some Volkswagen shops have them, too.

Reply to
Zarana-X

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 06:45:00 -0400, travis scribbled this interesting note:

But I bet you would have to replace your restrictor straps every couple of weeks!:~(

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 01:01:10 GMT, MUADIB® , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

heh heh... This reminds me of a discussion I had yesterday with another RAMVAite about my busted axle boot problem. One of the lines of the conversation went something like this:

Chain "by-the-foot" at Lowes for $.99/foot

The word "welder" was mentioned several times and there was lots of laughter when the subject of safety was brought up. Someone also mentioned taking pictures to share with RAMVA for later... Gettin' the picture yet? :-) My wife got me replacement axle boots yesterday. They sold them to her for a couple of bucks less than they charge me so she went ahead and bought 4 boots. From now on when I need parts I'm gonna get her to go buy them. She just walked in and was already talking to me on her cell phone so she handed the cell phone to the parts dude and told him I needed to talk to him. I'm sure that either Lowes or Home Depot opens up 'round here by 9am at the very latest... Currently 73 with high of 87 with showers. Nice day to be welding chains in the garage or something... :-D

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

One other way to help my parts gut told me was to get a large punch and dent in the horns under thee boots a little for more clearance or space up the motor mounts a 1/4" or so.

Reply to
Don Hamilton

You have a parts gut? :-O I bet you set off the metal detector at airports!

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 07:28:31 -0400, travis , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Home Depot has chain "by-the-foot" for $.79. ;-) More to come. :-D

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:03:44 -0400, travis ran around screaming and yelling:

and they also open at 7a.m. you lazy bum...hehe J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:13:06 -0400, Joey Tribiani , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Lazy? Hey, I'm done. I'm only waiting on my wife to finish messing with her computer so I can upload the pictures to the web site. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:16:22 -0400, travis ran around screaming and yelling:

congrats...now you *have to* test it....!!!!! J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Arent you on a computer?????

now?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:48:12 GMT, MUADIB® , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Yeah, I was on my laptop (and am on my laptop now) but the compact flash card reader is hooked up (duct taped, even...heh heh) to my wife's computer so I needed her to get off of the computer long enough for me to pull the pictures over onto the hard drive. Anyway, I got it all done. Here's the link:

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:57:03 -0400, travis ran around screaming and yelling:

looks good shag...should serve its purpose...congrats... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

There is a picture of said device on the book 'how to hot rod volkswagens'.

I can upload a scan tomorrow if you want to...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski