Rear Bearing Grease Seal

Anyone know how to get the seal out of the housing? Seems like it is welded into the bearing housing. I've managed to tear up the rubber seal quite good, but there are still pieces of seal stuck in the housing.

Looking back at some of the RAMVA archives, some people had the same problems removing the old grease seals from the bearing housing. Did not see any solutions. Anyone find out if it is part of the actual seal or is it something else holding it in?

I looked at Speedy Jims article on bearing replacement, and could not find reference to this.

Thanks, Lynn

1974 Superbeetle
Reply to
Lynn Martin

The seal has a heavy metal sleeve as its outer diameter. The sleeve is coated with rubber which adds a lot of friction. When stuck like this you have to drive a wedge (aka screwdriver) between the bearing cover and the sleeve (from the backside). That will deform the sleeve enough that you can pry the thing out.

You may nick or gouge the housing a bit but it's not that critical.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks! It looked like that was the case, but I did not want to tear up the housing with a screwdriver. You can actually see a little bit of rubber at the lower end of the sleeve.

Thanks again. It is good to be back.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Martin