rebuilding a 36hp

Ok, new thread - same issues. I've bought & begun reading the Tom Wilson engine rebuild book and will likely by the bug-me video on engine rebuilding. However, both of those items only deal with 40 hp and younger engines. Anybody build a stock 36hp? What are some of the critical issues that I should be aware of that I wouldn't pick up from reading/watching the other material. Just trying to get an idea of all this (and then decide whether I can fit it into my 5 minutes of free time). - DB

Reply to
DB

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:14:58 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

A 40hp and a 36hp engine are almost exactly the same. One of the few differences will be in the cam area (I believe...I've never opened up a 40hp). A 36hp engine has no bearings for the cam to ride in...it rides in journals directly in the case.

You'll do fine with the above mentioned reference materials.

John Willis

...but it can be machined for cam bearings...I am pretty sure RIMCO does this amongst their other operations.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:49:05 -0400, Gary Tateosian scribbled this interesting note:

I've read that this can be done, I've just never had it done. The very few 36hp engines I've worked on haven't really needed it...yet!:~)

John Willis

Double your project budget and schedule. Do it now, it'll piss you off less further down :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I went through a complete parts list and summed up the cost for all the parts and it blew my mind (and budget), so I have a handle on that part, which is partly why I was asking about labor costs. - DB

Reply to
DB

...yeah it will do that quickly. For instance I just threw together a beater shortblock...since I have a top end with 14k miles on it and bad endplay. now...mind you, I have NO machining cdosts on the crank or case as they were in decent enough shape for this project...

Lesse off the top of my head..

Scat c-35 cam 52.95 Lifters 46.95 Gear 24.95 Used crank gears 20.00 German Gasket set 10.95 Main Bearings 24.00 Rod Bearings 12.95 Cam Bearings 17.50 Cam Plug 1.50 Rebuilt Rods 46.50 Oil Pump (schadek) 27.95 Oil cooler (German) 99.00 Oil Strainer 2.50 ------------- $387.70

...so thats almost $400 just to throw a bunch of junk used parts back together to last a little while longer!!!!! If this was a rebuild you could add crank and case machining or replacement...pistons and cylinders and heads to this. Hell I bet I have over $50 in incidental supplies. And yet people expect to get a hight quality rebuilt engine labor inclusive for $500....go figure. =-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I can only tell you what I charge, and that I'm cheap here, in northern Europe.

Things are different in other locations.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:18:02 +0300, Jan Andersson scribbled this interesting note:

Truth hurts. He may need to more than double his budget as some parts for a 36hp engine must be purchased when found, regardless of cost.

John Willis

I usually tell them what a "properly built" engine costs, a turn key project. That's enough to weed out those who can't afford a quality rebuild. Then I don't need to crank out the half-assed slap-togehther lottery engines. (Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose).

If the initial price shock didn't scare the person away, then I can start talking about options and areas where he could save money, depending on application and intended use.

Aren't I lucky, I can choose my customers.. or choose not to have any. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

This book talks about the 36 HP engine a little bit. It's a very good book to own anyway, because it runs through a lot of the things to be careful about in all VW engines. I highly recommend it even for people who are considering stock rebuilds.

How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines by Bill Fisher published by H. P. Books, Tucson, AZ, 1970 ISBN 0-912656-03-4 (excellent book, well written and researched)

-

Jim Adney

Well, most if not all of the parts are available (just not new). I went through about as complete as list as I could think up. Total - over $1500. ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. Now add in labor & machining and I think it could run me $3000 ez (almost what the car cost me). That is why I was looking at just a ball park estimate for labor. I'll continue reading the Wilson book & mebbe pick up the book Jim Adney recommended as well. Hopefully, when I get around to actually doing it (or getting it done) some of the parts can be re-used or be cheaper - redone than having to buy replacements. again, ouch ouch ouch. - DB

Reply to
DB

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:06:52 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

Just keep an eye out on eBay and thesamba.com and anywhere else you can think of. Parts may not be cheap, but they are out there, sometimes new, and you don't have to break the bank if you are patient.

John Willis

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:06:52 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

Wolfsburg West has a good supply of new and good used 36hp parts. If you want to get it done quickly they are a good place to spend your money. As I've also stated, I've found some good parts on eBay and thesamba.com. Some are priced well, some are way too high. I'm still collecting parts enough to do a good, complete rebuild of one of my

36hp engines in one of our '59 Beetles. Both of these cars have good engines in them and they both run well, I just want one of them that is as new as I can make it.

If you stop to think about it, how much would it cost to but an engine in your other car (assuming you have a late model car as alternate transportation)? I'm betting a new (not rebuilt and not used) engine would run you far more than $3,000.00, installed. When the engine in a car we used to own (a 1986 Celica GT-S) threw a rod and had to be replace, that cost us right around $2,000.00 for a decent used engine, installed. Used. Not new. Not rebuilt with all new parts, just a re-used block.

One of the '59's in our driveway would very much deserve to have an engine in it...original 36hp style, that cost more than the car did to purchase. I wouldn't begrudge that one bit. The car is worth it. The piece of mind that comes from having a high quality engine in the car is worth it, and I feel my family is worth it. My only problem is the engine in the car is running so well there is no real reason to replace it yet!:~) Hell, I put about 100 miles on it just today running around town!:~)

(PS. I have no idea what it would cost to put a new engine in my wife's car...a 1993 Accord Wagon. Somehow I think it would approach the actual value of the vehicle and would not be cost effective. Especially when you take the effects of depreciation into account when it comes to later model, non-collectible cars.)

John Willis

Yep, and I should definitely go to more shows. - DB

Reply to
DB

Although I see ads for rebuilts (for non-ACVWs) beginning at under $1000, one of the reasons I will likely get a later model beetle as a driver when I have to replace my current daily is the cost of engine replacement. I think $1500 (or there abouts) for a new 1600 is a deal. The 36 will get rebuilt (hopefully by this time next year). - DB

Reply to
DB