recent talk of distributors

recently there have been a couple threads about distributors..(as well as over the years)...i have used the 009 distributors for years(german usually) and they were okay....have used the factory SVDA's also...they were better....yesterday i got around to installing the Mallory Unilite(bought it back in early feb) with vacuum advance in the bug(1641, ported factory heads, mild cam, dual kads) and it is great...haven't gotten it completeley dialed in yet so it is a bit retarded at idle....i installed the grey/grey springs that are reccomended by our own John C and Jake R. the advance curve is great and linear and out of the box the thing is set for about 24 degrees advance.... i will adjust the limiters to obtain the 16 degrees i have read work best(12 advance at idle and 28 total)...the vacuum advance bumps it to around 40BTDC at partial throttle during cruising....the test drive last night(around 60 miles) tells me the car runs much better(even not completely dialed in, which is a non issue since i was at highway speed) and is more "smooth"....and trust me with SOLID mounts you can notice a "smoother" engine....guess the extra advance while cruising helps...the power is instant when you step on the go pedal and very nice...i'm pleased...now i need to get those carbs dialed in better....still running a bit rich...maybe install the hyfire ignition box i also bought along with the distributor.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Interesting. I would have thought a vacuum advance distributor wouldn't have been a good idea. I figured the 009 was the way to go. How much does the Mallory run? I've seen the MSD and it's nice and all but just a little bit pricey. I guess it's probably a great distributor, though. Dan

Reply to
on30ng

Dan, the Mallory distributor(w/ vacuum advance) actually runs a bit more than the MSD....*however* the MSD is not available with vacuum advance( a good thing), has to be used with the 6 or 7 series ignition box(mallory is compatible with everything from stock points to even the msd's box, including of course Mallory's own cdi boxes), and the MSD has to use differnt type sparkplug ends(HEI)....so overall i feel the Mallory is better than the MSD, and i have run the MSD distributor and 6a box in the past....left me sitting once....with the Mallory you could bypass an ignition box that has suddenly flunked out....not so with the MSD....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Where do you get your vac from? Do the kads supply the appropriate kind of port for this dist?

Most carbs, if they have a vac port at all, provide a vac that increases with increasing load, which would be appropriate for a vac only dist, but you are asking for, very appropriately, a vac port that only comes on at low throttle, while crusing. Some of the OE Solex carbs do this but I didn't think that this was normal with any of the aftermarket carbs.

I'm not that familiar with carbs, so I'm hoping to learn something here.

-

Jim Adney

they do not have the vacuum port "out of the box"...the vacuum port is added...these are fully prepped A.J. Simms(lowbugget.com), but the ported throttle body is from John C. at aircooled.net (

)

the vacuum "signal" is correct and can be verified with a strobe type timing light....the vacuum advance on the Mallory is going "full advance" at justa crack of the throttle and drops sharply to nothing once you open it up...once the rpm's "level out" and you have taken pressure off the "throttle" the vacuum advance creeps back up(part throttle setting)....the throttle response is much better than with the old distributor(009 with pertronix) and i expected it to be...no disappointed at all...check out the above link to ac.net for more details....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks. More to read... :-) Plus, that lowbugget.com is a nice site. Anybody using their heads. Good prices on ported and setup heads. Great prices on carbs and manifolds already setup, too!. Dan

Reply to
on30ng

never really heard any "bad" on A.J.....sometimes it seems his waiting list is quite long, and orders can be delayed, but no firsthand experience on

*that*....another top notch head porter is Daren at "DRD" who i believe supplies heads to Aircooled.net(or , at least, used to)......a friend has some DRD heads on his 1776 and it is a screamer....money well spent(bought through Aircooled.net)
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

..................That's good to hear. I have a pair of DRD level 3 heads from Aircooled.Net that I haven't yet installed on my 1679. I'm planning to also go with a 118 grind Web Cam and see how it works with the stock Jetronic EFI and EFI style exhaust.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I'm a little retarded throughout the range. :-)

Reply to
Shag

I'm a little retarded at idle too....

Sneaks

68 Type I

completeley

rich...maybe

Reply to
Sneaks

I'm not retarded - I'm just s-h-l-o-w. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Dan

Reply to
bcdlr

How can you be retarded, if you haven't been tarded yet?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

Reply to