Red Light on dash

ok, wut does the red light mean its between the vent controls, on a

1970 VW beetle
Reply to
Scotty

The small one with a "B" is the dual circuit brake warning light. If one of the brake circuits springs a leak, etc., the light will come on when you step on the brakes. I believe the light on your '70 is "Push-To-Test" type.

The larger red knob that looks like:

the 4-Way Hazard flasher.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It still comes on without hitting the brakes

Reply to
Scotty

Either one of the brake switches has failed, there is residual pressure on one of the hydraulic circuits, or there may be corrosion inside the rubber booties connecting to the brake switch terminals.

If you are interested, I have a diagram of the switch wiring here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

like:

>>is the 4-Way Hazard flasher.>

here:

ok, it goes off when i hit the brakes i noticed that today...

Reply to
Scotty

like:

>>is the 4-Way Hazard flasher.>

here:

ok, it goes off when i hit the brakes i noticed that today...

Reply to
Scotty

like:

>>>is the 4-Way Hazard flasher.>>

here:

Probably a bad switch. Failures are common. Best to swap them both out for new ones.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What's the best way to replace the bulb in the light? How does that come out of the dash (in a 70) if you know?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

like:

here:

Ok which Switches could be bad??? so i know wut to check??? Thanks for all your help Jim

Reply to
Scotty

like:

here:

There are 2 switches screwed into the master cylinder. You need the 3-prong style.

They are not easy to get to. Remove the left frt tire.

No guarantees. But that's where I would start. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The plastic housing has tabs behind the dash opening which hold it in. Have to get back there and release them. I don't think the front of the thing comes off for access.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

like:

here:

Are the covered by a rubber thing??? Or is it on the other side?

Reply to
Scotty

like:

here:

Yes, there is a rubber boot covering the terminals. Pull the boot back and inspect inside for corrosion before doing anything else.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

like:

here:

ok, so iff there isn't any corrosion it sould be good???

Reply to
Scotty

Hmmm. Oh well, nothing is ever easy. :) Figured I'd fix that while I was oiling my speedo bearing and redoing its lights.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

What would be the easiest way to pull the switches out??? Jim Thank you for all your help

Reply to
Scotty

The *really* easy way? Take the gas tank out.

But I would rather take the wheel off and work from in there. It's cramped for a big guy though...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

like:

here:

If there's no corrosion, the plugs are probably OK. The switches can still be bad.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

like:

here:

Well... i'm a BIG guy lol, 6'2" 195 WIDE sholders, it suck lol but i got one out, no corrosion but i'm gonna change both plugs i have to order them tho

Reply to
Scotty

like:

here: