reliabiltiy of beetles on the interstate

I was wondering if my 76 fuel injected beetle could handle daily driving on the interstate in Kansas City. I'm moving there next month and my 2nd car I use in the winter is breaking down and I just want to get rid of it. The beetle will have to make a 2 1/2 hour drive to KC and back fairly regularly, as my brother just had a baby and I love to visit. I also will be doing alot of driving around town. Is there anything I can do to make it perform better? The engine seems to be in good conditon and I keep the oil changed and adjust the valves and all. I guess I'm just looking for some tips or some mods to the car that would make it a better car traveling at 75mph. Once I get up there and get settled in my new job I'm going to try to get a type IV engine built for me and installed. Lots of questions about that, but we'll address those later. Anyway, I'd love some ideas of what I could do to make it drive better. Thanks

Reply to
jhvw2000

Hi, I have a 79 SB convertible with about 17,500 original miles on it. I like to keep the fuel injectors clean and put the cleaner in every so often. Also make sure you have a good battery; I just bought a diehard and took out the original one from 79! Also make sure your tires are the proper inflation. Mine should be 18 in the front and 29 in the back and then she really runs smooth. Keep them balanced and step on the gas. She should run nice for a very long time.

Reply to
rosered857