remove heads without removing engine? testing head to cylinder seal?

1973 bus 1700 cc dual carb engine chirp is coming from engine, alternating sides.

still makes the chirp with manifold removed (so there cannot be other sources of vaccum leaks)

Ok, so there must be a leak between head and cylinder. I did a compression test. Cylinders 1 and 3 have 70psi (cold) and I assume are fine. 2 and 4 have very low compression (30psi cold). Sound disappears completely when I remove spark plugs # 2 and # 4.

I don't see how in the world there could be leaks on both sides of engine, on the rear cylinders. I put this engine together. I used the gasket between head and cylinder. I used a small ammount of formagasket to glue the gasket in the head, so it couldn't have slid out from where it is supposed to be.

The tops of the cylinders were clean, no scratches or pits. A good mating surface...

The mating surface of heads were fine. No scratches or pits.

1)can I remove heads while in the bus? or do I have to remove the engine?

2)how do I test for leaks between head and cylinder besides compression test?

This is from an automatic transmission bus. This means no flywheel. This means I cannot put my cheater starter on it (bellhousing from manual trans). I cannot turn over or start this engine while it is out of the vehicle.

How can I make absolute sure that the engine is working properly before I put it back in the bus?

Jenny

Reply to
jboothbee

Have you triple checked your valve clearances? Because that almost sounds like a burnt valve (Just did the same thing you did on an 81 westy which had a burnt valve and loads of other problems :( ugh) Anyways the only things I can think of are improper clearances or a couple of busted rings. But that wouldn't explain the chirping. You could try blocking off the exhaust ports on the heads to see if that cures up the whistling and the poor compression.... And 70 psi seems kinda low to me... Mine gave 120psi when I replaced everything in the engine so that seems a little odd for there to be only 70 psi on the good cyls and 30 on the bad ones... I had 35 on mine with a completely burnt and bent valve. I'm assuming you have solid lifters but if they are hydraulic, new and not bled properly, ( like mine were ;) that could be the problem as well.

Hope it helps... Not an expert just someone who's been there and still is.....

Reply to
westfaliaguy

How did you got 120 psi? I get average 85 on my 1600 tp. Yours

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Reply to
D&LBusch

edited

You can do a leakdown test if you have some compressed air and a leakdown tester.

will allow you to find out where that compression is going to. You should check ALL cylinders that way since your readings seem quite low. Are your pistons and cylinders NEW?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1