remove undercoating

Howdy, anybody have some favorite techniques with which to remove undercoating? I have a car that is heavily undercoated but also shows signs of rust forming in a few areas and I want to get it all off and seal it with Por-15.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I have used some industrial strength paint remover. It's a geen slime that melts everything. Just be careful, latex gloves are not enough protection against this stuff. Trust me, It hurts. The rusty parts you can use an angle grinder or some cup brushes to polish.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

in the

there was an article comparing different methods for that job, in was in the tech section, in the super beetle series of articles.

Ben Boyle wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Sounds like sweet stuff, do you have a name or chemical component so I can find it here?

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I had asked a similar question a while ago, and someone recommended using a heat gun and paint scraper, which worked REALLY well.

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw

I have also used a heat gun and a scraper, very effective on the thick stuff.

Reply to
Douglas

The name won't be useful, this is a local brand. There is no component listing on the can. But you may try asking for industrial strength paint remover. That can get you pretty close to the stuff. The enviromental laws there are way more strict than here, so maybe you won't find this stuff without a permit or something. If you really want it, you can come here, I have about 2 quarts left. :)

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

I used heavy duty spray on oven cleaner, works EXTREMELY well! spray on, wait aboot 20 minutes and hose off with H2O, it eats away just about anything not steel so watch out, i got it at Safeway, come in a yellow rattlecan.

Reply to
Exille

Reply to
Ben Boyle

just be careful of fuel lines...

Reply to
Howard Rose

I have read of people using dry ice ('frozen' Nitrogen gas) to first freeze the interior sound deadening tar like stuff in water cooled VWs.

The idea is to then tap it with a dead blow hammer; the steel will flex, the other stuff shatters.

I note this is not exactly the same as undercoating so consume w/ salt pinches as appropriate.

hth, TBerk

Nah, the pan is off the car and leaning against the wall in my garage with no floors or gas tank or...

:)

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw