Removing apron

I decided to make one of those removable aprons. I already new something was fishy because the PO bondo'd the hell out off the apron where it meets the fenders.

Upon removing the bondo, it appears that the apron is welded in ? The weird thing is that it has a copper color... Take a look

hole you see is the bumper hole, so you should turn the pic 90 degrees. Since I can't use the 'drill out the spot welds' method, I'm thinking about just running my grinder just along the edge to cut it out. The only thing I am affraid of is that I cut too far..

Any ideas/suggestions ?

Thanks,

Rob.

Reply to
Robv

Thanks for the tip John, I'll give it a shot with the torch.

There was an article in VWTrends explaining the procedure. Basically you are using longer fender bolts to bolt on the apron, take out the bolts and the apron can be removed.

Depending on how the apron looks like when I get it out I might have to think of another way of mounting it....

Rob.

Reply to
Robv

Factory brazed, like certain other spots in the body.

Jan

john luckey wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

When making a removable rear apron, you lose some of the structural rigidity o fthe rear body parts. This is what I did:

Not complete instructions, sorry.

Jan

john luckey wrote:

Reply to