removing body from pan

Hello,

How can I lift the body from the pan of a 69 beetle? I was thinking of making a metal contstruction and bolt this to the bumpermounts. Then I would jack the body from the pan by the metal construction. Are bumpermounts strong enough for this?? (they are in good shape, not rotten)

Thanks and happy newyear Dave

Reply to
Dave

Close the doors or remove them and weld a temporary brace in the door opening. Two people can lift the body off once the window glass and doors are off. (I've done it) Remove engine and SHIFTER first so you don't have to lift the body so high.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Here is my "stock" list of items:

Remove battery, disconnect harness in engine bay and up front to brake switches and horn. Clamp fuel line and remove fuel tank. Disconnect wires at the regulator (where needed) and disconnect the starter solenoid wire under the back seat. Disconnect brake fluid reservoir line (plug line so fluid doesn't escape). Disconnect speedo cable at the wheel. Disconnect the steering shaft at the steering box or rubber coupling. Disconnect heater cables at the rear footwell outlets and at front footwell outlets in later cars. Remove the heater hoses between heat exchanger and body. Remove 2 bolts under fuel tank where body attaches to beam.

Remove bolts under rear seat (cross-wise). Remove bolt under each rear fender well by shock support. Remove bolts around perimeter underneath. I prefer an impact wrench for these as you have a better chance of getting stuck ones out. There are a couple more bolts underneath each side toward the front (under the front bulkhead). These can be nasty to get out.

What to remove first? Depends on what you plan to do with the body. I prefer to remove everything that can be removed to make the body lighter: hoods, doors (need impact driver), fenders. If the heater channels are rusted out, leave the doors on and consider welding in a temporary brace.

Have stout saw-horses ready to set the thing on if you're going to work on the body.

Probably forgot some detail, but that's most of it...

You may be interested in this rather complete body repair web site:

And this one has real pics of what is *inside* all that metal:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Four people can easily carry it on two lengths of 2*2", or you can lift one end at a time whilst a second person places something underneath.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Thanks for the advice already. Can I use the bumpers to lift the body or are the bumpermounts not strong enough?

thanks, Dave

"Dave" schreef in bericht news:U_VBd.17713$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

Reply to
Dave

1) I wouldn't trust them just to be safe

2) It's added weight you don't want to lift if you can avoid it

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

like this:

or the whole article:

dragenwagen

Anyone got pictures of the original VW part that was used to heist the body? Very cool thing. If you don't, I'll go through my literature.

Reply to
jjs

They used hooks(two on each lift point, fixed to each other) attached to the four fenders believe it or not!

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

The body is not very heavy, bumpers should be plenty strong unless a SERIOUS case of steel worm fiesta... I could easily lift each end of my T1 -56 bodyshell fully intact on my own...(The other end resting on a skateboard or a four wheel coaster).

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg