Removing screws that will not come out.

The screw that holds the circular metal piece around the head light will not come out. I am sure it is stripped now as my dad tried to drill it out. Any ideas? The left one came out just fine. I need it out so I can finish removing the fender.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

The headlight ring should come clean off if you drill the screw head out. Then you get good access to the screw. If the screw turns with the drill bit, then I don't know what to do. Pry the trim ring open against the screw head from the bottom with a sturdy wooden stick or something?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Is it actually holding the headlight rim on, or is it an adjustment screw for the headlight? I'm pretty sure my '68 beetle only had 1 screw at the bottom holding the rim on and it was hooked over a bit of metal at the top. The other screw did nothing, but was meant for headlight adjustment once upon a time.

Reply to
Adam

Oh yea, that's true :) Only the bottom one at 6 o'clock holds the trim ring on.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The two in my '66 are just adjustment screws. The rim is removed from the light unit by taking out the spring clips holding it together.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It holds the rim in. I got the other out with no problems. I will be replacing the rims as they have dings in them.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87