Repair twisted off running board bolts?

My 70 beetle's running boards were falling off. Got a new pair then discovered several bolts were either twisted off or the nuts were gone, leaving ~5 X 10 mm slot. I don't see a way of getting a nut started on the inside, n haven't found any repair kits.

Got a fix? I'm not above drilling and taping a 10mm hole if that's what it'll take. Sheet metal screws ( body isn't very thick)?

Thanx chuck

Reply to
Chuck

This shows what you are up against:

That page is from a rather extensive study done by this Aussie club:
Short of welding/brazing a piece in, anything you do is going to be a "patch" to say the least.

How about toggle bolts??

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

howzabouts some drywall anchor bolts :D

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What always works for me on most rusted nuts and bolts is to spray them with pb blaster and hit them with a bigger hammer. (it also works great on lugs that have been on for 20 yrs.)

If you take a punch and hit the center very hard, when you screw into them the broken bolt will com out.

I do have to tap a few but not often.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

What an excellent solution!! Bravo.

The trade name is "Rivnut" and looks like:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have seen those years ago, but the kit I saw was cheap chinese junk, I didn't care to try.

These look better, and Böllhoff is a good brand.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It comes with an expansive tool

I think you mean this

Jacknuts,comes with a cheep tool, are ok in construction whers is no vibration. firstthey loosen then they fall appart

-- Arrie

Performance Bikes: The Navigator eats corners and spits out rocks afterwards

Reply to
Arrie

That's another type of anchor thing. The company linked above makes those for softer materials, like fiberglass etc.

The chinese stuff was exactly like the solid round rivets on the page above. Made of aluminum.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson