Replace clutch cable on 71 bay window?

Hi all, been away for a long time! I was on my way to a doctor appointment this morning and when I pressed down on the clutch it made a "snap" feel and fell to the floor. I reckon I need to replace the cable. I have a cable (holds up cable so others can see), but I can't find my stupid Bentley's anywhere. It's supposed to be in the Wonderbus next to the tool kit, and I don't know why it isn't.

Is there a simple "how to" on the Internet someplace?

Reply to
Mike Elliott

In the back, disconnect cable end from lever. Pull the Bowden tube out of the conduit end, so that the tube can be straightened.

Go to the front, underneath. Remove the crash/splash panel. That will expose the pedal pivot bearing housing. Unbolt the housing. That will expose the clevis connection for the cable.

Pull the old cable section out. Pull the remains out at the back.

Now you can feed the new cable in from the front (grease it as you go). You must locate the entrance to the conduit tube by feel.

Inspect the clevis connection hole on the pedal for wear. If severely ovalled, it could fail next.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. :-)

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Mike Elliott