Replacing beetle fuel line

Hi,

Looks like I may have to replace the ridgid fuel line from the tank on my '69 bug due to 36 years of corrosion is it worth trying to follow the route of the old one or should I run it parallel to the brake line inside the car - basically how difficult is it to get the pipe down the tunnel?

TIA

--Steve

Reply to
News

Almost impossible to run it in the tunnel, and certainly not worth all the effort unless the car has some high-value potential as an all-original.

Some guys don't like running it inside because "it just ain't safe". In reality, if clamped to the side of the tunnel, it is well out of harm's way. I would route it on the passenger side and keep it off the floor to avoid rust probs. Use robust protection where going thru the bulkheads to prevent chafing.

1/4" soft copper line is nice to work with ( and won't rust). Not generally used because of fears that vibration will work-harden it and lead to fractures.

Well, there you have it- my $.02

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I run a 3/8" aluminum fuel line inside a 5/8" rubber fuel line under the right side outside edge. Split the 5/8" hose lengthwise, slip it over the aluminumm line, secure and be happy.

Reply to
johnboy

Yeah, this is how I envisaged doing it, using copper piping along the left hand side mirroring the brake piping. I guess the pipe could fracture in an accident...but that's being pessimistic.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

And what if it does? What will light it on fire? All thats pulling fuel in at that point is gravity, and it will trickle in, but assuming you dont light up a cigarette after the accident or something like that, you ought to have few problems (other than having to wash your interior and perhaps replace your carpet -- I dont know gasoline's effect on carpet). Something has got to ignite it, so if you get in an accident, remember to check for a leaky fuel line. Odds are, you won't have bent your tunnel, and then probably wont have bent (or fractured) your fuel line. Then again, there are ways to run it through the tunnel.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

If think if you have a wreck bad enough to fracture a fuel line in the cabin, you will be too mashed to worry about such things.

Presenting Mel Gibson's "The Mashing of the Pipes"!

Reply to
Michael Cecil