Replacing door hinge pins

I bought oversize hinge pins in an effort to reduce door sag and have had quite the problem removing the old ones, been there I guess since '67. Anyone have a new, innovative way to remove the old ones? VW had a special tool for the job but I only have a large hammer and penetrating oil.

Grateful for any suggestions,

Witter

Reply to
Lawrence Witter

I've been working on the top one in the passenger door of my '66 for an hour or two every couple of weeks for about 3 *MONTHS* now. I want to install a passenger side mirror. Door doesn't sag.

I'm trying REALLY hard to do it without a torch but I have seen exactly

0mm of movenemt in the pin using all manner of heavy instruments right up to going after it with an air hammer using a "pointy" tip.

After the last session I get the idea that there may be a bit of extra binding on that top pin from the door weight even though I've tried blocking the door up and working on it with the door firmly closed.

I guess the next step will be to remove the door and use a torch to heat it up.

G2

Reply to
gvl2

I think the torch is the only answer! Cherry red should do it :-)

-Steve

gvl2 wrote:

Reply to
Phatman

I still have my passenger mirror in the box for the exact same reason. One day... i will invent the wheel again and get it loose

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I find it hard to believe myself but when I had the same problem with my son's '62 a couple of years back, I ended up not only having to heat one of the hinges to cherry red, but also had to use an air chisel to get the sucker out!

I modifed a spade-shaped chisel to provide some offset to clear the door panel (imagine a lower case 'j' with a little less offset on the tail.) Even with all this heavy artillery to work with, I think it took three heats to finally drive the pin out.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

doesn't Eastwood.com make a tool for replacing hinge pins? has anyone used it with success?

Reply to
One out of many Daves