Replacing starter bushing

I think I had a problem with my starter, that when it gets warm, it doesn't turn over. After cooling, it starts easily. I've replaced the starter but not the bushing. If I have the problem again will replacing the bushing fix the problem or is the starter damaged and eventually will fail?

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (near completion)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

I've got this on one of my Type 1s... After swapping to an "autostick" starter learned that my engine needs some redoing.

Pushing out the bushing is easiest with the engine removed.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Though you can also use a special puller, if it is even still available, to pull the bushing out from the backside.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

The new issue of VW Trends has the tool to remove the bushing in their article on VW tools, it also tells you where to get it.

Also make sure the bushing you are using is the correct one. If you are using an early trans w/ a 12 volt starter there is a special bushing that is thicker.

Reply to
JetSkiBob1