Replacing swing axle rubber boots

Hello out there,

has anyone done, tried or has information about the replacement of the rubber boots on a 1200 swing axle transmission? I possible I want to you the original (non splitted) boots. The manual says you have to revert the boot a then pull it over the semisphere bit on the axle shaft.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Beetlenut

You can only use the original boots if you are willing to disassemble the axle. It is a lot of work.

See:

first 3 or 4 pages deal with disassemblyof the Swing axle.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I suggest you find a better manual :-)

The boot installs from the OPPOSITE end of the axle housing. To remove the axle housing tube from the bearing carrier simply drive out the taper-pin and press the two apart. You will also have to remove the brake line bracket, which is welded to the axle housing tube. After replacing the boot and reassembling the axle housing, you weld on a new bracket.

That is how the job is done at the good shops, which nowadays you can count on one hand and have a couple of fingers left over.

As Jim said, it's a lot of work. Which is why VW offered a split boot as a field-repair part.

Split boots have a bad reputation for leaking, among do-it- yourselfers. This is because 99% of them are improperly installed, in that they position the seam on the TOP. Then compound that error by over-tightening the nuts. The instructions say to place the seam on the NEUTRAL axis, which means HORIZONTALLY. And the nuts should NOT compress the material of the boot. Their task is to merely draw the edges together; sealing is accomplished by a rib & groove arrangement cast into the boot.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

And avoid the cheap stuff, it dryrots within one year regardless of climate. It is somewhat hard to find the good quality parts, so much so that I won't even try to tell you where to get them.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

That sounds like natural rubber, which decomposes (ie, hardens) when exposed to oxygen and ozone -- and dissolves when exposed to oil or tranny lube :-)

Volkswagen used 'Buna' for its axle boots. Buna is synthetic rubber (Neoprene here in the States).

Split boots are often made of polyurethane, molded with a series of accordion pleats to provide the required flexibility.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

--=AD---------------

Hey Bob On the 59 beetle I'm restoring I had the axle tubes powder coated good thing the brake line holder bolts on. not sure what could be done for the welded on type in this case.

I haven't located a set of solid boots, Who sells the best quality?

Mario Vintage Werks resto.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Just fill the cracks with bondo.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

ROFLMAO !!! HaHaHaHa

Reply to
Speedy Jim

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa !!!!!!!!

nice one :)

Reply to
Tricky

Mario, you worthless waste of breath, I laugh everytime somebody shuts you down. I hope you wake up tomorrow and have a real shitty day, you sorry assfuck. Punch Sherri in the face and tell her I said hi.

Reply to
Legion of Doom

Dear Mario,

Don't bother sending me messages. I don't bother to read them.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber