Restoration

OK big in depth question... maybe

OK so as i just explained we recently acquired a 68 ghia. It's in fairly decent shape and rusty in all the familiar places. rocker panel is rusted thru to the Heater channels in a couple of 1/2 dollar size holes, behind the front wheels looks a little mushy , drivers rear floor pan has the rolling trash can, and the front right headlight fin has been bondo'd- havent checked to see how much yet. all in all its not in horrible shape and I would like to restore it.

Personally I haven't ever done this and dont want to jump into somthing without researching it first. I guess first step is to get the rust removed. now i've heard that acid dipping is the best way to go b/c of cost and effectiveness over sand blasting, but once its done, how long do I have to get the new body panels in and painted. also should i get the undercarriage powdercoated? the whole car? Ive some welding skills (probably high school shop level), but is this something i want to tackle my self. I also dont think i can afford to have anyone else do it right now.

Has anyone else done this? any advice on anything really? and whats a good place to get parts from? Ive got a catalog from Mid America Motor Werks(formerly Rmmw) and some other place. any junkyards in CO that might have some stuff? Basically i am asking for any advice or ideas.

Thanks and sorry for rambling. nick

Reply to
NicholausEllis

I read, that rust can be removed by Coca-Cola bath (as far as I know, it contains phosphoric acid, or something like that)

Reply to
kanuk

Hey Nick

Karman ghia parts and restoration is a great place to get all the parts you need to do your ghia.

I had a 59 rag top that I am restoreing chemically dipped and the chassis powder coated, you want to use a good epoxy primer as soon as you get it back (I use PPG LF) this will give you all the time you need to do the sheet metal work.

I have restored almost a dozen ghia's in the past and you can email me with any questions . snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys