Restoring a rust bucket 67 Beetle---when is it too far gone? (long)

a few years ago I bought a 67 Beetle from Ohio($1,000) and towed it home. On first inspection we saw rust damage, but as the car was disassembled the damage seemed to get worse and worse. Now we see that the car needs new rear floorboards,heater channels both sides, the entire rear package shelf has been replaced(salvaged from another 67 that was really bad everywhere else).I have to replace the firewall,front apron and rear wheel wells with rear bumper bracket mounts. My Father is doing all the installation in his spare time (aka:retired). The car will need the full treatment on the interior-headliner,rugs,uphostery,etc. The outside is red now,repainted from the original Savannah Beige. It will need to be repainted, 2 new fenders and all new trim and bumpers. In all I expect to spend over $3,000 on the car if I'm lucky. My Father thinks the car should be sent to the boneyard. I feel like I can save something that can never be replaced. What do you think, am I a sentimental fool? By the way, I now own a very solid,complete 67 that I bought from Arizona 6 years ago,so I don't really need the car,but, I hate to see it go to the crusher! Fred67bug

Reply to
Vw67lives

...definately. But if you have grown attached to the car...by all means go for it....just realize that you will be shoveling money down a bottomless pit. ;-) ANd let yer dad relax and start doing the work yerself....

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I remember when you bought that car. From Dayton Ohio if I remember right. I would restore it if you have the cash and the patience. You will also get the satisfaction of having saved one. :o)

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Sounds like a decent starting car compared with what I've seen others restore over here!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I have a bad habit of parting out 67's , so I might be a good thing to restore.

whats that, like 8 new car payments? Hell I dropped more then that on a new car in one day for my ex-wife. That car was in the junk yard rusted and wornout in no time.

so if your father is doing alot of the work , give him the car. You can ask for suggestions as what color does he think it should be?

Reply to
Kafertoys

"Vw67lives" wrote

If you decide to stick with it, here's some inspiration:

Scott H

The '67 is one car I would say restore if at all possible, within reason. Reason being cost to value comparision. If you've cut everything open & exposed all the rust (& therefore you know the extent of the work involved), then *you* can tell for yourself if it's worth it. But hey do the work yourself & give dad a break; I'm sure he'll be glad to show you how it's done if you need instruction. :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I imagine from some of the replies about the restoration of this 67 that a few people feel I'm some lazy slug that's taking advantage of my Dad to work on my car while I consume Twinkies at warp speed. Granted, it is far more satisfying to do something yourself,I know this from my own experiences.BUT,( and this is a BIG BUT) I run my own business and invest a minimum of 70-80 hrs. a week in all aspects of running this business, I love old VWs,especially the 67 Beetle. I barely have the time to wash my present VW never mind a full blown restoration. My Dad has totally volunteered his time and expertise and I am bankrolling the whole project. To be honest with you I am not putting him out the least. He loves working on old VWs and has been doing it for over 40 years. He owns his own 67 Beetle that he totally restored and a daily driver 64 sunroof witha dual port . He lives in Davenport,NY-very quite up there and he wants a project. Thanks Dad......You've officially got a project, Love your son, Fred

Reply to
Vw67lives

Well, if dad loves the work then it's all good. :-) I just know how much of a pain all that welding is, & how hot it gets, & how much I hate it.... And yes I thought you must have been standing over him with a shotgun or whip or something - LOL! No we really didn't think you were a bum, just that dad might be volunteering (somewhat reluctantly?) 'cause you're his son. They do things like that, ya'know. Good luck with the project. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Very inspiring! So you painted stuff yourself?

Reply to
KWW

That's not my page. I look at that sometimes to make myself feel bad for being so lazy .... lol.

Reply to
Scott H