Resurrecting a Beetle

Hi Group;

I am buying a '74 Super Beetle from a friend who lives a few miles from my house. The bug is an excellent condition with a solid rebuilt engine. It was driven regularly before it was parked in a garage about 2 years ago. It has a about 1/2 tank of gas with no stabilizing additives. I would like to resurrect this bug; drive it to my house where I can continue work on it. What would you do to get this baby going, so your could safely drive it home? I have a new battery and I'll certainly change the oil, but do you think the gas is usable (sitting 2 years)? Should I do a valve adjustment? What else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JT

Reply to
avova

JT, First thing to do to any car(you're gonna move) is make sure it has brakes. If you can get 'er movin is only secondary. Start with extensive testing to make sure the brakes'll make it and if it'll go........driv 'er home. Sa,......how far is a few miles anyway?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

Good point...what's the sense of moving forward if you can't stop...fluid and brakes will be checked. Thanks.

JT

Reply to
avova

Hey JT

The best thing to do is drain the tank and spend the 6 bucks on a few gallons of gas. You can drain it from the fuel line by the motor.

Remember it's not the gas thats the problem. it's the stuff that may have developed and you don't want that stuff in your carburator.

Just unplug the fuel line by your rear tire and drain it into a pan. Put in a couple bucks of gas for piece of mind.

Yeah I agree with the other posts about the brakes.. The time to find out they don't work ISN'T at 40mph.

I hope this helps Raul

Reply to
slugbug

JT,

Please read this article at aircooled.net

Much of the advice there might be of good use to you too.

Regards,

Joseph Mpora

Reply to
klashniv

One thing I would check out is the flexible brake lines ( rubber) that run to each wheel. they tend to swell inside after so many years. it restricts the return of the fluid back to the master cyclinder. It wouldn't hurt to just replace them ahead of trouble. If a brake even stays on and gets hot. this surely is the problemo. good luck on the resusitation;. I'm doing the same on a '70 Beetle.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

Hi Group...just to follow-up on this post.

Well, I added an additive that is supposed to improve bad gas and sloshed it around in the tank. I checked the gas line and brake lines...everything looked pretty solid. Added a bit a brake fluid. Installed a new battery. Changed the oil. Then...I pumped the gas a few times and cranked the engine for about 10 seconds...it popped and started right up!!! The mostly original 1600 dp idled smooth and revved nicely. She has a beautiful fweem. Now for the test drive...I took a spin around the block. The engine ran smooth and strong. The brakes seemed weak; but usable for the short drive to my house.

Amazing...this bug with gas have been sitting for more then two years, and she came back to life with a great eagerness to be driven.

I'm a happy man.

JT

ps -- thanks to all who have contributed advice.

Reply to
avova