road trip trouble

I just completed 1100 miles of 'wisconsin to virginia' road trip, and have the return drive waiting in about a week. I drove my '72 super beetle. Here's what happened: Driving at about 70 mph, the car suddenly lost power, coasted down to about 50, and caught again. Trying to accelerate only caused it to cut out again. I limped at 45 mph to a gas station. To me, this seemed to indicate a fuel delivery problem, probably a plugged fuel filter. Filter did look pretty bad, and I couldn't find one in the immediate area, so I took it out, and ran the line directly to the fuel pump. Topped off the tank, and drove on. It ran fine for about 150 miles, and then the same thing happened. Stopped at a gas station........this time I checked the point gap, it was ok.....I removed the fuel line and blew back to the gas tank, no obstruction. Topped off the tank, which was just below half, and drove off.........it ran fine for about another 150 miles, and again, the same thing. Sometimes I'm a quick learner: I topped off the tank, and again, it ran fine. Got me to my destination. Now I gotta figure out and fix the cause, instead of treating the symptom. My guess from here is fuel pump. Maybe it's weak or non functioning, and having the tank full gives enough pressure in the line to gravity feed the carb. Anybody have more ideas? Experience with the same symptoms? And how do I test the fuel pump?

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

When it cuts out, pull over immediately and go open the gas filler cap. Do you hear a distinct "whoosh" as air rushes into the tank?

I'm thinking the possibility of clogged or plugged tank vent lines not allowing air to enter the gas tank as it drains while you drive. If you drove only short distances at a time, and took breaks (turning the engine off) there would be enough time on the breaks for air to find it's way in. I guess.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It wants cheese!