RR torsion bar - type 1

I've got mild, visible sag in the right rear wheel compared to the left. It was this way when I bought the car (1961) twenty years ago. Two well-respected shops I've spoken with have said not to adjust it because the torsion bar will sometimes break if you do. I use the car mainly for long distance driving and don't want to get stuck somewhere, obviously. With all the forum messages indicating people have had no trouble with this procedure, maybe I should ask if anyone has had one break (?)

tia, chris

Reply to
chris

I turned mine down a notch on my old '63 baja and then put it through harder use than 99% of the old VWs would ever be subjected to and didn't have a problem with it at all. 31" truck tires getting slammed up and down on the trails all the time. Maybe I was just lucky, but that was my experience with it. Here ya go: (click the small pictures for full-sized pics with explanations)

Shag

side to the other. Re-indexing to level the car is outlined in the bentley manual, so I can't see how it could cause one of the torsion arms to break unless they are showing signs of corrosion.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Just make sure you check the torsion "bars" for scratches and rust while you are pulling them for adjustment. That should make you very aware of what kind of shape they are in. If you have a bently or other VW manual there is a picture of the springs there somewhere. yours should look as pretty as the picture or they have been neglected and will likely suffer. This, by no means, is not gospel,........... Just increased likelihood of breakage. If you'd like a picture of a good torsion spring ( 73 model ) I can shoot some really good pictures and email them to you.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

MUADIB® wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks to everyone for all the great help/advice. I'll give it a shot. Something's got to be done. Handling and tire wear are terrible.

best, chris

Reply to
chris

make sure you have a new set of inner and outter torsion bushings on hand...they are shot...trust me. Replace them. If you go with the eurathane beware that they will usually need some work to fit correctly. Replace bushings on both sides even if you only index teh drivers side. Buy the torsion adjustimg tool..or borrow one if you can spare the cash. Yes the chain and jack method works...and has done so for years, but the torsion tool works much safer and better. If you happen to live in florida you can certainely borrow mine. =-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian