Rubbing sound when brakes applies

I just brought a '63 Bug back to life after it sat for three years. While driving I noticed a rubbing sound coming from the right rear drum. The brakes operate perfectly, no grabbing or uneven braking just this rubbing noise like a grinding sound but not metal on metal. In fact the shoes have plenty of material. Any ideas what could cause such a noise?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

ilambert

Der Wunderbus made such a sound after sitting for three months awaiting some kind of engine. Went away after a few days. Shortly thereafter the unmistakable aroma of dead mammal permeated the air in and around the bus. I reckon some little rodent dude or dudette had set up house in the bus while it was a big lawn ornament. Mere coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no. You be the judge.

- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott (who has had one too many root beers and is getting silly)

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Our '69 did that from the left-rear drum for quite a while. First two or three brake applications for the day, then it was quiet and fine. Same thing, plenty of shoe material, star wheels adjusted properly, no rust (daily driver), etc. Then, it started to get worse. Instead of going away after two or three applications, it would happen randomly.

Then, the brake cylinder blew. I surmised later that the brake cylinder had to have been flaky all that time and was pushing the shoe unevenly, causing it to grind against the side of the drum until it centered.

Might be time to at least grab the breaker bar and socket and do a good inspection.

Reply to
Malcolm

You might want to readjust it, or have the drum turned it can be out around.

Mario-

Reply to
Kafertoys