running brake lines

Ok. I'm gonna try to pick up where I left off... I need to finish running new brake lines in my 67 beetle. I tried and couldn't get the main line (the one that runs along the tunnel) bent correctly. It wouldn't reach the place where it should have to connect the "t" to so I could attach the rear lines... I got so frustrated that I stopped and was going to take the pan to a VW shop and just pay them to do it. Well I never seem to have the extra money to do that, so I figured I'd try again.

Any tips to get it bent around, under or through the pedals up front so that it will reach the back.

Thanks.

-- Dana and Eric

Dana Lewis

....................Be sure that your line is the correct length, 85 1/2 inches (that's 2172 mm in Finnish).

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Start with a straight (well, relatively straight, with what you have now ;) brake line, feed it in from under the left front fender, through the hole near the pedals. You can pre-shape the master cylinder end of it before pushing it all the way through. You will need somewhat tight bend there just as the end turns to face the master cylinder. Careful when bending, you don't want the bent section to collapse and go flat. then feed it through as far as you can, until you reach the rear T section. You may need to play with the lenght a little, pray that it's too long and you need to make a small bend under the rear seat to make the overall lenght shorter. Don't ask me how to make a too short brake line longer, I don't have the answer ;)

Use a thick rubber grommet where the line goes through metal. Once the line is running close to where it needs to go, you can attach and tighten teh master cylinder fitting and teh rear T fitting. It will look ugly and it won't sit anywhere near where it's supposed to. Now you start pushing and tugging and carefully bending it some more to make it sit right.

Can't think of anything else.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote in news:btjso9$7ln00$1@ID-

72729.news.uni-berlin.de:

Duct tape.

Reply to
cloud8

Thanks... I think this may be where I messed up... I hooked up the line to master cylinder before I made all the other bends that I needed on the "inside" I will un-hook it from the master cylinder then try again...

However they are calling for ice and snow tomorrow so I bet it will be too cold to do it this weekend :(

Dana and Eric

Dana Lewis

Remove the driver's seat. Remove the pedal cluster. Hook up the back end first and then work your way forward dressing the line smoothly next to the tunnel. Finish at the MC.

It's still hard to do it nicely.

-

Jim Adney

LLBrn has cammo dust tape if you really want the repair to be stealthy!

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Thanks.... Actually I'm working with a bare pan so there aren't any obsticles except the fact that I must not be bending it correctly. What would be nice, is a pic of how it needs to be bent around the pedal cluster. anyone, bueller???

-- Dana and Eric

Dana Lewis

There's hardly any bend at the pedal cluster. It runs UNDER the cluster. It may dip down slightly there, but hardly at all.

-

Jim Adney