Sagging headliner fix

I searched for weeks for a simple fix to my sagging headliner woes. But eventually I had to give up on looking for advice and bite the bullet. Here is what I did:

I carefully pulled the headline loose on the driver side where it clips in the door frame. Next I reached in and removed the first three bows, the headliner had roted out from under the bows so there was no hope of repair. I reattached the headliner over the drivers door and got things back the way they where before starting the job. Finlay I reinserted the headliner bows on top of the old headliner, just poke each bow through the headliner.

Overall it does not look that bad, if you were not looking for it you would not notice the metal bows, and I still have my headliner. Considering how long I suffered with a headliner hitting my in the face, and that this fix took 5 minutes, I can say it was something I should have tried years ago.

In looking at it more, either the last owner had reused old headliners during their restoration attempts, or more likely, they had put some sort of chemical on the bows, like a glue compound, that could not stand up to the heat of the metal roof and broke down the vinyl.

Just thought I could contribute my fix, David Tucker

Reply to
david.tucker

Nice tip!

The last owner probably picked up a can of glue from the autopart store. You know the one. On the back in the fine print it states, "NOT FOR USE ON HEADLINERS!". Makes you wonder what that glue is supposed to be for. :-)

-Ray

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

Much better than my fix. I ripped mine out so it would quit flopping and threw it away.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I used a hypo needle with a liquid solution of 3M adhesive and just poked it through the headliner and glued the rods and then held the headline up against it until it dried.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi