sand blasting problems

been sand blasting on my son's 73 bus. got the engine bay blasted, rust proofed and painted.

in the middle of all of this, the sand blaster just quit. it is an old eastwood blast out of the bucket setup and has worked very well up to this point. now, it won't even suck up the sand. so i disassemble, clean, etc. still nothing.

mebbe it is just too old and tired and needs replacing. pick up another one. still the same -- no sucking up sand.

WTF ??? everything worked wonderfully and then just quit -- zip, nada, nothing. the only thing i can think of is that humidity and the fact that i don't have an air dryer in line could be giving me fits.

any suggestions for us ???

tia bob

Reply to
Bob Mrazik

Block the nozzle, yank the trigger, and watch the sand stuck in the hose fly back out the way it came from. It's a bit messy. :)

Is the nozzle adjustable? Mine is. They wear out too. (That couldn't explain any sudden malfunction though).

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

maybe give that a try, but on disassembly, there didn't seem to be anything stuck.

Reply to
Bob Mrazik

Bob,

Did you sand the panels after blasting? Sand blasting is a rust remover, not a finishing operation. It actually creates small pits in the metal. I know you said it's the engine bay, but keep it in mind for more visible areas.

JM2C

Reply to
Mel P.

only the engine bay, cargo floor area, and underneath where the flaking old undercoating is revealing some beautiful 32 year old paint and only minor surface rust in other areas. PO must have gotten it undercoated when brand new !!

thanks for the reminder though.

bob

Reply to
Bob Mrazik

the pits are not a problem....no more so than the standard sand scratches...let the fill primer(high build) do its job...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani