Scams Abound...

We still have our 1974 Thing for sale and there are a couple of ads out there that people occasionally come across. How many red flags can you spot in this request I received yesterday? (I didn't bother with a reply, for obvious reasons...)

Hello Owner, My Name is wilson, I saw your advert concerning about 1974 Thing. Pls let me know your last offer for it , describe th present condition for it and provide me more pics if available. I will be looking forward to read from you urgently because i want this transaction to end before i travel. Regards,

John Willis

I posted my chopped 66 on the Samba and got their typical scam artist replies. Not from the Samba mind you but some of the jerks that lurk out there.

One was verbatum like their warning letter. I told the guy I knew what he was up to and to stop e-mailing me as I had no interest in selling him anything and that i knew he was a scam artist. He replied with a very angry e-mail and cursed me out!?? Go figure?

Mike

Chopped 66 custom bug

Reply to
Mike West

Maybe The Samba or someone else should start maintaining a list of known scammers. They've got to stick to their email addresses long enough to pull off the scams, right? Aren't there any VW loving Treasury agents around? ;)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Probably a scam, but it wouldn't hurt to follow up a little and see if it turns out to be real. The thing is, I'm trying to sell my '73 beetle on thesamba and I got an email much like yours. What tipped me off is that they were asking for pics and present condition when ALL that info was explained in the add with good pics to boot. I didn't follow up, mainly because the "buyer" was in "Belgium".

Darn scams. Watch yourself out there.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I think the common scam is that somebody "owes them money" and will have this somebody mail you a check that is in excess of what you are asking for the car. They'll say it is the most expedient way of getting money to you.

They then ask if you could send them the difference - the really dumb ones will come pick it up. Of course, the check you were sent is usually forged or made of rubber so you're out whatever you sent him.

I would just reply, at least until they come up with some caca-meme payment scheme. What moron buys a car unseen? Once it doesn't feel right, you can always say no then.

Reply to
Remco

I too had posted a 1968 Beetle for sale on thesamba. They do maintain a list of scammers email addresses and Everett wants you to add the name and address if it is a new one. You can send the entire email, header included to snipped-for-privacy@usss.treas.gov And if you get bored you can always play with them. I had one guy asking where to send the check and I gave him the address of the Police department. The scam is called the "Nigerian Advance Fee Scam." From of course, the country of origin.

I never saw a check. Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy and Lisa Helms

What we need now is some kinda virtual internet nuke that traces these perps and blows them to hell... along with everybody else in the Nigerian internet cafe they operate from.

Reply to
jjs

Symantic is working on a dynamite scam filter. I kid you not. It uses some awesome heuristics to filter out known scams. I'm using it now and it really does work. 'course, if sites want the same thing we're going to be seeing fees. Spendy stuff!

Reply to
jjs

For those who posted comments...

I'll not be answering this email. Why? Everything feels wrong about it. From the broken English to the question about the last offer I had to the request for pictures (which he's already seen if he looked at the ads I've got up) to the need for urgency. None of this is the way anyone I want to have dealings with would present himself or herself.

The bad English I understand. There are two items that really tip me off about this being a scam-the question about the last offer is the first and the need for urgency is the second. What I might sell him a car for has nothing to do with what the last offer was (if indeed there was an offer.) And the only need for urgency that might be felt would only be felt by him, not me. I am obviously in no hurry to sell this car and if he wants to buy it he can ask to make an appointment to see the car like anyone else and if we come to an agreement he will pay in US dollars in cash before the keys are surrendered and the title is signed and handed over. That is the way a deal is done around here.

Scam? Yeah, I think so. Other than showing it here in order to help others who may by unwary enough to fall for it, I feel no need to respond to the email. I've had dealings with unsavory types in transactions before. It always helps to be ready for them and to avoid them if at all possible. This one I can avoid.

John Willis

I didn't

I come originally from belgium and indeed, the nigerians seem to have discovered the heart of europe. I frequently remove nigerian scam pamflets hanging on poles and in supermarkets here in South Africa, the usual work from home scams. What can you do about it.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

unfortunately John, some "sellers" are only worried about getting money into their paws....if I personally don't like something about a "deal" i don't do it....of course that is the sellers right...

HEY NOW....i paid.....LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:08:12 -0500, "Joey Tribiani" scribbled this interesting note:

LOL!:~)

John Willis

Another version of the scam is that they will have someone come by in person to deliver a money order. The money order turns out to be fake but you don't know that until the bank returns it a week later. The person who delivered it was paid and has no idea it was fake. In the meantime the scammer receives and sells the merchandise.

-tom

Reply to
vic20owner