Seeking wisdom: Finding vacuum leak

Suppose you had a dual carb setup and suspected one or more small vacuum leaks which might be responsible for poor performance until the engine got warm. Also suppose you didn't have asbestos underdrawers and don't care to have a fire in your engine compartment. How would you go about finding this leak?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Pee on the manifold joints. Or use WD40. It's not that flammable. Neither is the WD40.

Reply to
jjs

Light up a smoke-bomb... then with the engine idling, hold the smoke-bomb near any suspected vacuum leaks... and watch very closely. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

As replied to another post: Paint all connections with fuel and a small brush, the recomended way of doing it from German workshop manuals..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Spray bottle of soapy water. Should see bubbles where the leak is.

Randy

RSMEINER

You don't know my pee.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Wouldn't that be true if air was leaking /out/ of a bad connection?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Don't know but thats what a friend of ours does to check for vacuum leaks. And he's a hell of a vw mechanic, so who am I to argue or question him.

Randy

RSMEINER

It works either way. I normally use WD-40 on vacuum leaks myself, though.

Reply to
matthew j henschel

this makes as much sense as any for me. If you want to find the stumbling vaccum issue..............The air/fuel ratio is compromised, and when you introduce fuel to the mixture it will enrich the mixture and change the RPM in an obvious way. if you are painting , or spraying any type of fuel ( flamable stuff like Berrymans B12 ) you will get similar results. I have much experiemce looking for vaccum leaks,................in many different cars, and have used the B12 a lot because, it evaporates quickly, and leaves no residue. unlike just about any other "leak detector" I've used.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®