seized engine help

Hi, I'm new to Volkswagens and recently got my hands on a 1962 beetle. I got it from my brother who owned it for a year before deciding he wasn't going to do anything to it. Anyway, the guy who had it before him supposedly drove it up until the day he parked it to begin fixing it up. Since he didn't know how long it was going to be sitting he filled the cylinders with kerosene to keep it from rusting. (he also removed the gas tank, plugged it up and filled it with kerosene also) I assumed everything would be fine with the engine and it may have been but according to the sticker on the windshield the last time the car was driven was 1984! To make a long story short, after sitting for 20 years the engine won't turn over. We put a huge wrench on the crank pulley nut and it won't budge. I'm thinking since the engine was ok when it was parked all might not be lost. Someone even told me that as the kerosene drained past the rings and evaporated or whatever happened to it, it may have sort of varnished and glued the pistons to the cylinder walls. I guess it could happen. I have read about different things you can put in the cylinders to free it up, like, ATF, brake fluid, kerosene, and even coca cola. Someone on a forum somewhere had an engine that sat for 30 some odd years and soaked it with something called bp blast and after 3 weeks it freed up. Does anyone have any advise about what I can do? How hard would it be for me to remove a head, at least so I can look into the cylinder to see what's going on? The car is over at my fathers house and he has already put ATF into the cylinders via the spark plug holes. (ATF because that is what he just happened to have laying around)

On the plus side the body is in very good shape and the car came with replacement pans which I just finished installing. The body is still off, should I leave the body off until I figure out what to do with the engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tate

Reply to
hetamila

pull the engine,

will it turn over now?

yes? starter binding on flywheel? flywheel binding on tranny?

no it wont turn: remove distributor remove fuel pump

will it turn?

get good penetrating lube. spray in distributor hole. remove the oil pump cover. pull the gears, spray the rest of the can of lube into the output hole of the oil pump.

let the engine sit overnight

try to spin it. no spin?

remove valve covers, pull the rockers.

try to spin it.

no?

have to crack the case.

you need a clean area.

take pictures, write down step by step instructions of what bolts you remove from where.

take em' all off. use a rubber mallet to split the case.

oh yeah, you might need to take pistons off connecting rods before you split.

you'll probably find either a) rust or b)crud or c)burnt bearing.

possible causes (mechanical parts that rub against mechanical parts):

oil pump fuel pump distributor drive parts cam followers cam pushrods, rockers, connecting rods seized to piston or crank pistons seized to cylinder walls crankshaft seized to case.

take it apart and enjoy yourself, take your time, take pictures.

it it isn't salvageable, you can find a shortblock for cheap.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict