semiOT: auto philology (lemon)

Ha, ha! That's a very good question!

We use so many slang expressions about which we don't know the origin. I assume "lemon" because the experience leaves a "sour taste" long after.

A couple of humorous sites dealing with slang:

And a "dictionary" to convert British slang to US (and the reverse):

BTW, if you have ever wondered about some of the curious acronyms used on Newsgroups:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

A "lemon" is a citrus fruit with a tart or sour (not sweet) flavor. In the

1800's, people started using the word 'lemon' to describe people who were sour (or unfriendly). Over time, 'lemon' came to refer to anything that was defective or broken.
Reply to
J Stafford

In the American verison of English, good things are often sweet while the reverse is sour. A lemon is the essence of sour.

The British verison of English has some auto related terms that had me scratching my head big time. When I got my first British motorcycle, the tune up manual kept referring to "tickover"...it took me a long time to figure out that was idle speed...

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Just to add to confusion, a peach is a good car !

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Hi

As a non native english speaker I find sometimes problems to understand mechanical jargon, not to mention de subtle differences between the american and british english. One word that has always puzzled me is lemon, I know that having a lemon for a car is bad, but why do you say that? what's the connection between a lemon and a bad car?

The second puzzling word was monkey wrench, but I already discover where it comes from.

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

Nope. generally anything good can be regarded as a peach, including beach fodder ( walking down the beaches, looking at the peaches..). It carries on... a corker for example...

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:15:41 +0100, "Juper Wort" shared the following:

Yep, he's being plumb level with you. :-D

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

'alright me old fruit, 'ows in 'anging ? ooze that geezer on the blower then ? ee get rite up my nose with that jam jar of his.

etc etc.

Juper Wort

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:51:26 +0100, "Juper Wort" shared the following:

Orange you going to ask if I was being serious? Puns are the apple of my eye. I've been raisin the roof with them for years. We probably should prune this thread before it gets out of hand, though.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

get your coat..

Reply to
Juper Wort

Is the "to be in mint condition" also one of these? Mint, tastes good?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Not a food reference this time.

MINT n. 1. a place where coins, paper currency, special medals, etc., are produced under government authority. 2. a place where something is manufactured. 3. a vast amount, esp. of money. adj. 4. being in its original, unused condition, as if newly made: a book in mint condition.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

No, "mint" as in "minted" - new, unused, perfect condition

Reply to
Howard Rose

...and a bad one is a "shed" or "banger"...

Reply to
Howard Rose

As opposed to the word "meant" which is probably more appropriate for the descriptive nature used in many Ebay Motors ads, which merely "meant to be a restoration , not Actually being one................As in "restored" , "lowered" and "chopped" used to describe the same vehicle.

These words meaning that the car is either nice looking and has a new appeaance or....................is never boing to be driveable, leaving the car as it was (permanently) when "rebuilt".......................LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

The English language has a bunch of words that are spelled the same but are pronounced differently and mean different things:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish Furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

8) At the Army base, a bass was painted on the head of a bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsman about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into the sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number

19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting, I shed a tear.

20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

22) I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.

Reply to
Karl