serpentine belt config.

anyone have experience with a belt tensioner? Looks like a great way to have more contact between belt and gen/alt. pulley. hence less slippage, longer belt life.

Reply to
A Veteran

Yup. Ya know it ain't a dynamic tensioner, right? You have to put the tension where you want it. No spring.

Anywhow I use one on a high-reving Type-1. The advantage of the thing is the wider, stronger belt. But for a stock T1 - dunno. It's simpler and cheaper to carry a spare belt.

See it here:

(Before later improvements in there.)

Reply to
John Boy

Reply to
John

i had a two day old alt belt break on my bug once....i still have the scar where my finger went between the pulley and said belt....ouch..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I just know the belt slips during down shifts. Question #2 does the rotating mass of a generator compare to an alternator?

Reply to
A Veteran

No you don't, and even if it did slip it wouldn't make a freaking bit of difference to anything.

Compare? No significant difference.

Reply to
pico