shift rod bushing

I need to replace my shift rod bushing. How big of a pain in the ass is it? I guess it doesn't matter because it needs to be done. I'm just not quite sure how it fits in. Any links to websites that show how it's done?

Thanks,

David

Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'Vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Try this:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

you can find john Henry's (the bug shop) article here

clickon gear box and clutch.I greased thewhole shift rod, the first time I just greased the bushing and the end of therod and pushed the bushing right thru. Iused a big pair of needle nose to move the rod.David

Reply to
David

click on gear box and clutch.I greased the

rod and pushed the bushing right thru. I

Is there supposed to be some kind of clip holding the bushing together? The guy at the parts place said that I could reach in the shifter hole and place the bushing in the bracket....? I guess I'm confused how it fits in the bracket and if I put the bushing on the shift rod and grease it and put it back what pushes the bushing into place? wont it just slip on the rod?

Thanks for any help.

David Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Thanks Jim. Great article. But what pushes the bushing into place in the bracket? won't it slide on the shift rod?

David Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

From what I remember, the bushing snapped in place in the hole on the bracket. What KEEPS the bushing there is the shift rod causing the bushing to expand outward against the bracket holding it in place. Hopefully, the bushing hole hasn't been elongated or widened due to bare shift rod metal grinding away at bare bracket metal.

To replace the bushing, just pull the shift rod forward until it completely clears the bracket (in my case, I pulled the shift rod out of the car completely). Pop the bushing into the bracket. Then slide the cleaned and greased shift rod back in place.

Fixing this makes shifting feel Niiiice...

-GE '74 Super Beetle

"Is there supposed to be some kind of clip holding the bushing together? The guy at the parts place said that I could reach in the shifter hole and place the bushing in the bracket....? I guess I'm confused how it fits in the bracket and if I put the bushing on the shift rod and grease it and put it back what pushes the bushing into place? wont it just slip on the rod?

Thanks for any help.

David Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'vert"

Reply to
geoffers

Forgot to answer your question: Yes, there is a metallic circular clip that goes around the bushing. Put that on the bushing first and then put the bushing into the bracket second.

-GE '74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

The bushing has a groove that will snap into the bracket to hold it in place.

Here's another good page with some good pictures:

*dial-up warning - lots of pictures*

Reply to
Scott H

AWESOME!!! Thanks Scott!!! Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

I just went through this on my recently aquired '64 Bug. It's time consuming to some degree but it's not nearly as intimidating as it might look. Once I had the shifter out I was able to reach in the hole and work the shift rod forward with my fingers without too much trouble. Going back in I just used a long wooden dowel to push the shift rod back in. Once the end of the shift rod was in the new bushing I was able to push the rod the rest of the way in with one long slow push. Inserting the new bushing took a little patience but the whole process is definitely something you CAN do.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

to some degree but it's not nearly as

in the hole and work the shift rod

long wooden dowel to push the shift rod

push the rod the rest of the way in with

whole process is definitely something you

I think what is trowing me off is that I have the bushing, but the parts place didn't give me some kind of metal clip that I've noticed everyone talking about. He said that pushing the bushing in the hole in the bracket, the edges of the bracket would cip onto the groove of the bushing? RIGHT?

Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'Vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Thanks!!! I can clearly see the picture now!

David

Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'Vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®

If you want to see how it all sits together, look here

Grahame from Aus

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

it has been discussed here about the clip being nessasary or not, i did not use it when i did mine hasn't been a problem yet. David

Reply to
Mycoran

I used the old clip and I also changed the connector under the rear seat. The underground metallic noises ended.

Joao

<joao_eliseu_spam

I would like to thank everyone with their input on this topic. It turned out to be easier than it appeared. I documented the progress with pictures, however it turns out that the whole procedure is in the August 2004 edition of VW Trends,

Narley Dude®

'72 Super Beetle 'Vert

Reply to
Narley Dude®