Shifter Bushing

Who are you talking about? I must've missed something.

Reply to
Randall Brink

real name.

Just replying to Bill who seems to have some sort of problem. I guess your message got entered in before mine did while I was typing. Not sure what his problem is. I've never said anything to him before.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

i have no problem with you mike,just bad advice gives me bad taste. cutting hole in tunnel to replace a shift rod bushing is "butchering" as to the art of bojutsu(using a staff to pop someone upside the head would be a bad move.) there are vw manuals out there called robert bentley workshop manuals that show correct way to do it.as the other guy said-people cut out rear shelf area to remove a starter. i know of a 1949 vw beetle owned by Randee Pickton (randar wheels) that had rear apron cut in two places downwards from top so engine could be pulled out the top as pos thought it was how they come out, but if i came on samba and said to do that would you offer any contrary advice Mike??? i have no problem with people getting more than one opinion as long as the "butchering " is not done.

Reply to
bill may

Bill, I wasn't suggesting that people butcher their cars. I've never had to do the repair myself.(yet) When I did a bit of research on it it appeared that several people cut the tunnel open because it made the repair easier for THEM, not that it was the best way or the only way. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it since I've never done it myself. Sorry. We're all just trying to help each other out. (I hope) Hopefully when I get in to a tight spot with something difficult those who have many years of experience such as yourself will offer your help and advice.

Michael Koch Hagerstown, MD aka Mike64Bug, WB2KPH, $#+_%#@!, etc., etc.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Mike, Don't effin apologize to Bill. Sounds like he has a serious attitude and came in here to bash people without any advice to offer. While I opt for the spot-weld-drill-out method, cutting the top of the tunnel off saves a decent amount of time and many competent mechanics prefer that method. If you don't believe me, check out the TULZ series and read what Mr. Hoover has to say about it. Besides, Mr. May clearly wasn't paying attention to the thread in the first place; He says "sad to see advice like "cut hole in tunnel to replace shift bushing bracket" oil is used to lube shift rod bushing when in place." Evidently he doesn't understand that the OP had a question about the bushing poppping OUT of place. To the OP: Tried any of our advice? Did you fix it? Peace...

-Chip

Reply to
Chip

Mike, honestly you took a small funny statement way to personal....and that is my opinion, and if you don't like it, ride the broom bitch

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Chip did you read the thread? or do you not follow it?(as you are saying Bill doesn't)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hey, great, another Johnny-come-lately with nothing to add. Yes I followed the thread, and if you can understand Bill's broken English in his quote, it seems he's talking about lubrication with regards to the shift-rod bushing being in place. I don't know if he thought someone was advocating cutting the tunnel off to lubricate the shift rod. It doesn't matter because it's irrelevant to the poster's situation, because his bracket is likely ovaled out and is the source of his problem. Additionally, grease, not oil, should be used for lubrication of the bushing. Things clear for you now, you big pot-stirrer?

Reply to
Chip

Mike Koch i apoligize to you. i thought you said to cut a hole in tunnel to replace shift bushing. quote: Gene Berg: when i went to a VW training school,my instructor showed me a simple trick to do do this without removing the shifter. you lift up the floor mat and drill a

3/8" hole on the right side of tunnel about 3" back of the shifter at about 2 oclock. when you want to lube the bushing ,lift up the mat ,and squirt a couple shots of oil onto the shift rod from a squirt can as you move the shifter from 1st to second..end of quote. at dealership we removed shifter,unbolted coupling,slid rod forward and applied universal grease to rod where bushing rides. then reattach coupling replace shifter and adjust. gene berg stirred the pot .i was also told this oil thing when i went to vw school for training. i still state a beetle does not have to be butchered to do a simple repair ... and i have already apoligized to mike64..
Reply to
bill may

wrong on both accounts...im not a johnny comelately and i have plenty to add...and can actually follow a thread...thanks for your insight though..

i'm not a pot stirrer, but Bill is right...PERIOD...no need to cut the tunnel...for the bracket replacement....and anyone that has the tools and ability to actually cut a hunk out of the tunnel to replace the bracket, then weld it back together should have enough brain power to do it the better and easier way....now can i have my opinion now, if thats okay with you chippy?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Relax everybody, everything is cool. Apparently a lot of misunderstanding going on here. This thread has split and rejoined so many times that even those of us who were the main parties involved aren't sure what's going on. Even if you read the whole thread in order you'll just get confused. Bill and I are cool. I think he misunderstood something I said and things just multiplied. The part about lubricating the bushing was just about which type of grease or oil was "better" or what was really best nowadays. Apparently, there's probably no one correct type, just a lot of different types, all of which work. Bill, sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Since Bill and I have apologized to each other everyone please take note.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

I fixed it by removing the shifter rod and re-installing the bushing, same as the first time. I used a different lubricant this time, and am hopeful of the fix lasting.

The whole string about the bracket got started over the assumption that my bracket was bad--it wasn't--and so I did not have to undertake the job of replacing it.

In any event, I would never cut a hole in my channel.

Reply to
Randall Brink