Shifter problem

Hi RAMVA!

I just got a new bug (the super is now gone) and it feels great. It is a recently restored (not a great job, but pretty acceptable) '70 standard. There is, however a problem with it. When I first started and tried to back it up to take it around the corner, it went easily into reverse (too easy, i think) without pushing down hard. when I tried to go into first gear, nothing happened....it just didn't want to go into 1st. then I tried 2nd, and it got into gear, but, when I let go the clutch pedal, and accelerated, It moved back instead! It was in reverse, but I didn't push down. 3rd was ok, and 4th... while moving in 3rd, it was possible to shift down to 2nd, but impossible to go into 1st in any case. Is this a problem with the shifter? transaxle? Please give me some clues.

TIA, Karls

P.S.: I'll post pictures really soon

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Probably someone has removed (or installed wrong) the little plate below the shifter that makes you have to push down for reverse. Check your manual & pull the shifter to find out. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

Karls,..........The shifter is not assembled correectly. The reverse lockout mech is not in the proper orientation , or maybe just broken or not there at all. The rest will be adjustments............

Someone post a photo of the proper shifter assembly stuff...............Karlss car needs help !!!!

I searched for over an hour and here's the best i could come up with for Tech info...........with a description of the lockout plate.

Take some pictures and post 'em if no joy is found with this.

I'm sure we can get a good fix for ya.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

DEJAVU!!!!! u know what? i have the same problem with my beetle and i was just going to post the problem up when i came across your head ache. the difference is i had just changed the selector bush on my beetle. and all these problems started after that! so, guys! please do help karl and i out! and i have a feeling that by the way karl explained his problem, the shifter only gives problems when its warmed up! so please do help out k?

Reply to
haridev

and one more. i have no problem with my reverse shift. it moves into second easily. the only thing is that after the car is warmed up it refuses to shift into 1st. other gears are fine. tc n regards

Reply to
haridev

not sure if this will help

David

Hi David, I got a "server not found" message

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

i don't know whats up with it, it worked yesterday when i posted it. maybe the site is having problems Sorry David i found a cached page it doesn't have the pictures though, you might have to copy and paste the link, hope this one works http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:ABDeWAsmHrsJ:huelsmann.us/bugman/ShifterTech.html+http://huelsmann.us/bugman/+site:huelsmann.us+&hl=en&lr=&strip=1

Reply to
David

The problem is now fixed. Not only the plate was about 5 mm right of where it was supposed to be (according to the wear marks), but the spring had fallen down behind the plate, so there was no spring pushing the shifter back up.

While I was there I found about 1/2 pound of beach sand behind the carpet. Looks like the PO really liked go surfing with the bug.

Thank you all for your help. Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña