Shifter Rod Bushing

Another problem...

After reading and assimilating all the advice and a hoard of postings on shifter rod bushing replacement, I went to start the job and found that there is a solid oval (non-removable) plate over the hole in the fromt apron of my 1970 Beetle where one would remove the shifter rod.

Is this normal, and therefore there is another way to do it?

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink

The plate in the outer skin, the apron itself, is attached by one 10mm or 8mm nut from the inside. Pops right out when you remove the nut. Another plate is located right opposite of it, below the windshield washer reservoir "shelve". A third plate is at the end of the tunnel, between axle tubes. (two 10mm bolts)

The bolt & nut sizes here refer to the outer size.. i.e. Wrench/socket size.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan,

Thanks. I think it looks unremovable because it was painted over. I will proceed.

Randall Br>>

Reply to
Randall Brink