Shifter Rod Bushing Replacement

When replacing a shifter rod bushing to quiet a rattling shifter, where does the actual neoprene bushing go on the rod? I know how to remove the rod through the front of the car and all that, but can't remember where the new peice goes.

Thanks,

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink

It doesn't really go on the rod. It goes into a housing on the bracket that suspends the shift rod in the tunnel. You need to install the "O" ring first and then pop the bushing into the housing then grease the hezbollah out of the rod and carefully push it through the bushing. Once in the rod should slide through until it reaches the coupler.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

You refer to an "O" ring, which I am not familiar with. I assume I will need to obtain this "O" ring before starting the project. Unless it is already a part of the shifter rod assempbly.

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink

It's more of a circlip. If you ordered your shifter bushing from John at aircooled.net, the bushing should already have the circlip installed. If not, you may need to take a trip to the junkyard, because I have no idea who sells them.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

The bushings sold today work just as well without the (damn hard to install) C-clip. Anyway, it should come with the bushing. If it's missing, it's no big deal. With luck you can find an old c-clip still in place when you remove the old bushing.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I think I used a tiny zip-tie once that fit the C-clip groove.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I just replaced one on my '65 Bus and the old clip, which is metal and looks like a ring but is not solid, was still on the rod. Installing it is easy. The bushing should be cut so you can squeeze it together and then pop the clip into its groove. Drivign the tube through it is the problem, but maybe that is what Jan was referring to. It is easy to dislodge the bushing as you push the shift rod through. I find twisting it while gently pushing works best. Just make sure you check that it has not been dislodged after installing the tube.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I replaced mine three or four months ago. I took my shift rod and ran it back and forth on a wire wheel on my bench grinder to make it smooth and shiny. If it has any old dried grease or paint on it, it will be tough trying to slide it back through the new bushing. Getting the new bushing in place through the shifter hole takes a little finger dexterity but it's not difficult. Once I got my shift rod started through the new bushing I pushed it all the way through using an old broom handle. Piece-o-cake. (And I left the clip off.)

Reply to
Mike64Bug

There are many that have descriptions of this very typical and important procedure. The best way to improve the tactical feel and shift performance.... the little part goes into a keeper hole about 2 inches to the rear if the hole where the shift arm bolts into..............

Have fun and feel around with your fingers..

Marco

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

I found this to be helpful when i did mine

David