Shimmy in front/steering wheel @ ~40MPM or after hitting a bump

Folks, On my long drive I took to consume some fuel (see other posting today), I notice that the front /steering wheel start to shimmy between

40 & 45 MPH. After I reach 50 things settle down again. I don't believe it is a balance issue with the tires (had them just replaced). Since this is my first bug, not sure where I should start looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....
Reply to
areyouwireless

Is this Super Beetle ??

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

your steering dampener might be toast. Replace with new, it's located under the gas tank and attached with 2 bolts. One end mounts to the axle tube and the other end hooks up to the steering arm near the steering column. Remove the dampener and see how it moves, it's like a normal oil shock absorber. There's supposed to be LOTS of resistance in both directions.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I was waiting for this question:p

Sneak '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

TeeHee

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I would check your tires . (as you just had them replaced ! )

Get them balanced correctly.

If its a SB see if you can get them balanced ON your car. and check this link...

I had the SB shimmey's and couldn't beleive that it could just be the tire balance ! (it felt like the front end would fall off ! ). but a couple of those little wieghts around the rim sorted the problem out.

I hope it turns ouit to be that easy for you :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky