Should I baja Walter?

This weekend I was installing the rear bumper on Walter (my 61 bug) and got a closer look to the rusty front and rear ends. I got depressed. The rear end was cut and replaced with a later model part and the job done so poorly, the fenders dont match and the engine cover's latch does not work.

The horrible question: should I baja it? Please don't kill me. I really think its way too far rusted out to be restored stock.

Side question: are there any websites with plans to convert it? Importing a kit from the US would kill me in shiping charges...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I'm a fan of the Bajas for daily driver cars (easier to work on and ability to fabricate more parts)... especially when they're beyond doing repair -- crashed, destroyed etc.

Best step by step is

It's close to impossible to return a car to a sedan after baja.

Bajas have about 1/5 the resale value....

Are you sure the car can't be reworked... when in South America I found many more quality donor parts than we have around here.

T.

Reply to
MNAirHead

Good donors for brazilian bugs, yes. Good donors for German bugs, far more difficult...

Problem is, a decent sixties bug with engine problems would cost me far less than fixing this one... and I could move my engine to the new car easily.

I think bajaing this one might save it from destroing...

Maybe I need to learn how to weld :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Not true. Its done all the time. Matter of fact I did it with my '60 ragtop that some maniac butchered with a sawzall anda 3/4 inch drill bit.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:00:06 -0800, "MNAirHead" ran around screaming and yelling:

it involves *BASIC* autobody collision repair experience only...no where *near* "close to impossible" J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On 19 Jan 2004 18:25:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Braukuche) ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...i guess i should have read ahead....i agree with Dan...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Welding really isn't that difficult. Before you think baja, consider buses, convertibles, dune buggies, sandrails (tube), and even trikes...or you could just try and ignore the problem...just don't feel guilty about whatever you decide... and really inspect your next VW...have you looked @ the Samba galleries?

Reply to
pmbedard

next bug is going to be a good early sixties one... this one came almost free...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Baja's are FUN!! Especially EARLY ONES!!! (ducking)

Bugzilla