side mirrors on '72 Super?

J.C. Whitney has a deal - a free side mirror when you buy one, and I need a new mirror anyway. The previous owner left holes in the door which I'm trying to fill in with a thin layer of bondo :+( ... the Whitney mirrors look like "screw-in horizontally to the door"...my question is: can I get a cheapie mirror that goes into the hinge post (vertically) for my '72 Super? This is for a soon to be Maaco'ed streeter....thanks!! :+) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

The OEM mirrors screwed into a threaded nut welded to back of the door skin. The passengers side has the same threaded nut welded to the door but the hole isn't cut to the outside. The same mirror from the drivers side fits the passengers side.

To get a decent job from MAACO take off as much trim as you can. It also helps if you wet sand the entire vehicle. Use 280 down to 400 grit WD sand paper with a rubber backing pad. Wash car with hand dishwash detergent and if it was waxed or has any grease go over it with prepsol and wash again. The more hand labor you put into it the better the MAACO result. They are cheap cuz they do little labor --- a good paint job is 75% labor.

Reply to
Wolfgang