silent exhaust

Hi All

This is my current exhaust, I don't know what's the proper name for it, in the Netherlands we call it "jetpipe":

exhaust has a very deep and loud feewm, very cool sound when driving around the city, but when I jump into the highway I cannot listen to the radio, and I like to listen to the radio, so the exhaust is going away. I would like some of you to recommend me a very silent muffler/exhaust for a 1600cc engine.

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

Have you thought about dual quietpacks? Not exactly mute, but compared to a zoom tube, it's like hell and heaven.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Stock German muffler with one fweem pipe welded shut (the one that does NOT make the heat riser work.) That's quiet. Oh, did you want something that helps performance?

Reply to
jjs

Don't weld it shut.

The stock peashooter type is by far the quietest. Plus it performs best in bone stock applications.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I have seen a dual muffler attached to a header on a very large displacement Type 1 engine that was ultra quiet. I really only heard air rushing out of both tailpipes. It was, IMHO, at least as quiet as a stock muffler. Not sure what brand it was as this was decades ago.

dave

Yes it's pretty quiet, but the flow characteristics aren't the best and they rob lots of ground clearance.

I build my own systems, you can get decent results with a "tuck away" setup where the muffler sits upright almost between the rear wheel and the body, completely hidden by the fender. You can find these factory made from most parts suppliers, but the overall fit, and quality of the muffler leaves some room for improvement. If you can weld, you could make it fit perfect and replace the muffler with something better.

Whatever you choose to go with, you will most likely need to rejet your carburator(s), because the change in exhaust restriction changes the mixture too. Going from stock to bigger, better flowing exhaust will make the engine run LEAN and overheat. Damage will occur eventually.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I never got a chance to drive his Beetle, but he was also doing small drag races with it. I am not sure if he won any or not. :-) Of course he might have taken off the mufflers when running it. ;-) later, dave

Reply to
dave

I don't know what kind of exhast you have because I couldn't see the picture you attached, but I use a single quiet pack on a header and it's not too bad. I noticed another post sugesting a dual quiet pack. My experience has shown that the single is quiter than the dual and I've gone through a lot of mufflers including the hide-out turbo. I will give you a dual quiet pack or a hide-out turbo if you pay the shipping.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Reply to
Ilambert

What you have is a stock exhaust with a Zoom/jet tube/pipe attached to it. Remove the Zoom tube/Jet pipe, and replace it with a pair of peashooters, could not be more simple, and no decrease in performance!

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Reply to
Ant

I've a stainless one of these & it sounds great. amusingly enough, as it points downwards, together with the progressive fuel eater, it makes nice little black soot circles on the road at startup !

James

Reply to
Juper Wort