Slightly OT, JB weld inside a carb?

Hi ramva people,

can you tell me if JB weld can be used inside a carb, in the float-bowl to be precise?

I've got a 1978 Honda cb 360 and one of the carbs has a problem. The float "hinge" is attached to two studs wich normally are part of the carb body. But one of the studs broke off. A previous owner allready fixed it , sort of, by putting a screw in it, but it can still be moved slightly. Now I want to reattach it, more or less, properly with JB weld.....But can it withstand gas?

Yeah....no volkswagen.....but it is old AND air-cooled AND loads of fun to drive! (just like my beetle!)

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
Gerrelt

Gosh, toss the carb and contact a motorcycle junk yard. They have litteraly thousands of those carbs.

Reply to
jjs

I used some on the S&S on my shovelhead. IIRC, one of the manifold bolts I used was a bit long and ate into the pot metal on the float; I 'rebuilt' the hole with JB and it's worked fine for years. I plan on sooner or later replacing it, but damned if I haven't had any real problems with it since then. It seems to be surely gas resistant, but I don't know if I'd trust it in a thin or moving parts situation.

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

Well, the cb 360 wasn't sold much overhere (the Netherlands) and the (few) motorcycle junkyards think their parts are made of gold.. 60 euros for 2 carbs is normal. A tube of JB weld is a lot cheaper.

This bike is my low budget motorbike, my beetle still is my first priority, of course... :-)

Greet>

Reply to
Gerrelt

OK, thanks, I'm gonna try it, I don't think it's that small, and there's little force on that stud.

Greet>I used some on the S&S on my shovelhead. IIRC, one of the manifold bolts I

Reply to
Gerrelt

"> >>

According to the tubes sat in front of me

So tough you can drill it, grind it, machine it Resistant to petrol, oil, and battery acid Withstands Temperatures up to 300 degrees C Tensile Strength 4000lbs

Neil

p.s I used it to glue a leg back on a casting on a generator, and it hasnt fallen off yet.

Reply to
Neil