small rust question, possible to fix myself?

Which could turn into a big rust question...

My 74 ghia has developed some surface rust along the front hood area. At either side, of the "U" of the hood. Apparantly its where the water drains and pools up. It's very small right now, but it has grown since I looked at it last. The majority of it is underneath the hood, with a little bit poking around the edges. I had the car painted 2 years ago, so the rust has appeared since then. It's irritating me because I don't drive the car as much as I should, and I think its letting me know it. :)

Anyways...Is this something I can fix myself (my not knowing anything about paint, etc self). I guess I would just sand away the rust, then what? I think there is some room for error since the majority of it is underneath the hood, or should I just leave it up to the person who painted the car or my mechanic to treat it?

Thanks in advance!

John

Reply to
John T. Barbour

you (or whoever does the work) will want to do the following. Use a wire brush on a grinder or drill to clean metal free of visible rust....note the word visible also note if using a lareg grinder don't go crazy in one spot for too long...heat will be generated....too much heat can lead to warpage...hough prolly not a large concern in the particular area you will be attacking.. You will now want to use a rust convertor on affected area to neutralize the microscopic rust particles. Then prime if pitted use a metal glaze to smooth then paint. I'm not goign to get too much into compatibile brands...suffice to say make sure everything you use IS compatable. A stop at your local auto paint and body supply store and a talk with the salesman should net you what you need for success.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:46:03 -0400, Gary Tateosian left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I must have had my back turned when you used the neutralizing rust converter stuff on your baja just before you sprayed that rattle can black paint on your tree-bars after welding them to the body. :-D

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

...............You really are a pain in the butt.

LOL!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:43:21 GMT, "Tim Rogers" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

*grin*

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

...ahh yes but he asked for the proper procedure for fiking the rust on his ghia....now if he had asked for the proper procedure for covering up rust on muddy tree bars on a highly-unprofessionally modified baja....well my answer would have been a little more recognizable as "sensible advice" by one such as you....

Gary

Reply to
Gary Tateosian