smoke on startup when parked on a slant?

Hey everyone. I just wanted to check if this is normal. My 73 DP bug hadn't been run since Sunday, and I drove it yesterday. VERY cold weather, and I had a little trouble getting it started, it stalled a few times, and I had to re-start it each time, it which point it always fired up. When I got it started each time, BIG puffs of stinky white/blue smoke out the tailpipes. This indicates burning oil right? The ONLY other time it has done this is when I parked on a sideways slant. I was on a slant yesterday. My thoughts are that oil pooled in the #1 and #3 combustion chambers and was burned when I started the engine. Sound feasible? Ran normally after that. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I'll go out on a limb on this one, and say that it's normal for a slightly worn engine.

For example, my Goldwing does the same thing if left on the sidestand for a long time. Like the VW, it's got a horizontally opposed engine, and oil seeps into those cylinders. With 77,000 miles, I expect it.

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

And I will join you on that limb. My BMW R100rs (that's an aircooled MC for those who don't know) would puff smoke from the downside cylinder on startup. No harm. Keep in mind, Anthony, that piston rings work when they are stressed during a combustion cycle. They aren't designed to keep oil from seeping backwards - up towards the combustion chamber under no compression.

Reply to
jjs

Thanks guys. I wasn't particulary concerned, but I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has experienced this. Apparently you have! ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony