So after the sandrail sat for 3 months...

... in the garage, collecting dust while I got up the motivation to put on a $2 part (distributor hold-down clamp), I finally got around to putting the clamp into place and setting the timing "by eye" (glancing at the distributor and guessing how it should be oriented)... I removed the air-cleaner, hooked up the battery charger/jump-starter thingie, sprayed a couple of quick bursts of quick-start in the carb, turned the key... and... the not-quite-yet-legendary rail... ROARED TO LIFE!!! WOOT! Well, actually it didn't roar a whole lot cuz I put on one of those quiet exhaust systems. It even idled pretty smoothly once it warmed up for a couple of minutes. I turned the key off, turned it again, and VROOM! Started up again. Sweet. :-) I tightened down the distributor good and tight and was cleaning up some when my wife came out in the garage. I showed her how it would start up, but it took more quick-start that time. So, the good news is it's running and I don't think it's gonna take much to get it running *right* again. Now I have new-found motivation to finish the Herculiner stuff up and re-install the seats. I think once I do that I'm going to drive the rail over to Bob Hick's place and have him give it a once-over for me so that I know it's done right. Maybe I'll get to enjoy it some more this summer after all. :-D Stay tuned.

Reply to
Shag

*sound of war trumpets in background* Herculiner: complete
Reply to
Shag