Solex Pict-2 AIr Idle screw has no effect

Hello all,

A few weeks back I checked my oil and found a gallon of fuel in it. Woops. Based on the advice of others in this situation I decided to replace the fuel pump and also rebuild the carb.

I have been using a Solex Pict-3 for many years now, but I had a Solex Pict-2 in my basement. From what I read, you are better off with older carbs which have "less improvements". So instead of rebuilding my Pict-3 again, I decided to rebuild the Pict-2 which I have never used (came off a scrap engine I bought for $100).

To rebuild, I bought a kit from airheadparts.net. I did a very thorough tear down, and cleaning with carb cleaner and canned air. I replaced everything that the kit provided - except for the air idle screw. Reason being, the new screw in the kit was about half the length of the old screw. Perhaps that's normal ... I don't know.

With everything back together, my idle was MUCH lower than before. This is actually a good thing, because prior to replacing the Solex Pict-3 I couldn't seem to tame the idle down no matter what I tried (which may have resulted in the excessive fuel in my crank case).

However - the idle is so low at a stop light that I am near stalling. It's so low, it almost sounds like an engine that is skipping over piston firings. I can unscrew the screw all the way out, and it still idles just as low. If I take the screw all the way in, I can stall it out.

It's nice warm weather here in Ohio and so I laid out and adjusted the valves, and cleaned up a few things. Then I went for a drive and got the engine warmed up. Then I checked the choke. I noticed that I was past the last tooth on the idle arm (?). I don't think that is normal. So I loosened the screws on the automatic choke and cranked it 1/4 a turn past the middle mark on the carb to put the idle screw onto the last tooth where I believe it belongs.

After another test drive I found that it idles much better at a stop light. But I still get a wee bit of a stutter at around 40mph (which was there before). Also, that air idle screw doesn't really seem to do anything ... which is probably not good.

I know I'm being picky, as everything is running really well at the moment. But would anyone know why this screw doesn't work? Was this carb maybe too beat up to rebuild back to 100 percent?

Thanks,

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to
steve.ballantyne

I thought that the 1968 Beetle was a single-port engine that took the Solex

30 PICT-1, but I could be wrong since I have only really "driven" 1967, 1966 and a 1976 Beetles. The 30 PICT-1 usually has two adjustments, CO at idle and throttle plate position.

It sounds like you have a dual-port engine in your '68 and you are running a Solex 34 PICT-3 carb. The 34 PICT-3 should have at least three adjustments, CO at idle, Idle Speed (Air Screw) and throttle plate position.

But I also think the '69 and '70 Beetles with the single-port engine might have other Solex 3x PICT-x type carbs.

So which engine do you have and please post ALL numbers to the carbs that you are using. ;-)

Uhhh I know that you did an oil change. ;-) AND you check the ign. points and timing and advance (both mechanical and vacuum)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Jim347a

There are 2 possible causes if the idle mixture screw has no effect.

1) Butterfly opened more than necessary during idle. 2) Blocked idle circuit. Either a passage or the idle jet (which depending on the carb model may be integrated on the electromagnetic cut-off valve), or electromagnetic cut-off valve not working. You can't rebuild a carb without removing all jets and blowing compressed air through all passages and jets. You need a real air compressor to do this.

Adjustment is dependant on carb model. Can you send the complete model and if possible a link with a picture of the carb (e.g. using

? Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@x6g2000vbg.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

a third possibility is an intake leak...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani